Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell you what I have been researching this thing all day and have come up with nothing. What part of the country are you in? Do you know where it came from? Was there a family member that served in the armed forces or any other kind of special service of some kind. You can rule this out as being a Coast Guard or Us Navy medal. I'm assuming it has something to do with that do to the nautical theme on the front of the medal. Super cool piece though! As for it being gold, from the pics it looks more brass to me but then again it could be the lighting or that it's dirty. I'm sure you know not to clean it in anyway. I will keep doing some research on this piece and let you know what I come up with. Awesome find though!! :thumbsup:

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
THANKS!

I tell you what I have been researching this thing all day and have come up with nothing. What part of the country are you in? Do you know where it came from? Was there a family member that served in the armed forces or any other kind of special service of some kind. You can rule this out as being a Coast Guard or Us Navy medal. I'm assuming it has something to do with that do to the nautical theme on the front of the medal. Super cool piece though! As for it being gold, from the pics it looks more brass to me but then again it could be the lighting or that it's dirty. I'm sure you know not to clean it in anyway. I will keep doing some research on this piece and let you know what I come up with. Awesome find though!! :thumbsup:

Thank you SO MUCH for all your hard work on my behalf!
I'm ashamed to admit it after all your research, but I did have some additional info. that I forgot to include--the medal comes from Point Pleasant, New Jersey and was awarded to Mr. Middleton for assisting in a surf rescue in 1899. What I was trying to ascertain is who would have issued it (maybe the town?) and who made it--there are no makers marks and rather crude figures in the boat, so perhaps a not-so skilled jeweler?!
Anyway, THANKS AGAIN, and if you come up with anything, I surely would be beholding! Jack.

Attachments

• Life Save 6.JPG
    Life Save 6.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 179

aussieposters

Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'day from Australia
You can go to a large pawn shop and they can test to see if it is gold. They have a gun that scans the metal. Usually it should be stamped/hallmarked if it is gold though.
I have a silver lifesaving medal from 1903 I found on ebay around 10 years ago. From the extensive research I did it seems it was the "thing to do" around the turn of the century if someone saved your life especially if you were wealthy or had a bit of money. The family, local community or person saved would engage a jeweller to make a medal. It's great you found an article about it from a newspaper. I haven't been able to find an article about the person on my medal.

Once you find out what the gold value is if it is gold let me know. Either way I would be interested in buying the medal. regards Brian

OP
OP
D

dirtfisher1127

Aug 8, 2011
G'day from Australia
You can go to a large pawn shop and they can test to see if it is gold. They have a gun that scans the metal. Usually it should be stamped/hallmarked if it is gold though.
I have a silver lifesaving medal from 1903 I found on ebay around 10 years ago. From the extensive research I did it seems it was the "thing to do" around the turn of the century if someone saved your life especially if you were wealthy or had a bit of money. The family, local community or person saved would engage a jeweller to make a medal. It's great you found an article about it from a newspaper. I haven't been able to find an article about the person on my medal.

Once you find out what the gold value is if it is gold let me know. Either way I would be interested in buying the medal. regards Brian

Thanks, Brian--sorry it took me so long...haven't looked at the post lately.
In addition to the medal, I have Merritt Middleton's 14k pocket watch, an 18k ring with a picture of him in later years, and a gold filled locket picturing him as a boy. I am going to keep the whole grouping together, and have no plans to sell it at this point, but I will keep you in mind should I change my mind. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread