Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey there! I haven't used a Light Hydraulic for drilling rock, but it sounds like an exciting piece of equipment. With a 9-Hp Robin Engine and pump coupled to it, it should have enough power to handle drilling with a carbide bit.
Have not been able to really use it yet on rock as the fires have burned me out. How ever have not problems using it as an earth auger. Will have to machine holders for carbide bits etc. and add a water pump.
Since then, I have picked up a used Stanley square drive like the one pictured above however better made power unit with quick couplers. I will likely round up another 9 - HP Kolar engine and pump to make a unit that can be ziplined out to the rock.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have not been able to really use it yet on rock as the fires have burned me out. How ever have not problems using it as an earth auger. Will have to machine holders for carbide bits etc. and add a water pump.
Since then, I have picked up a used Stanley square drive like the one pictured above however better made power unit with quick couplers. I will likely round up another 9 - HP Kolar engine and pump to make a unit that can be ziplined out to the rock.
I'll bet the carbide bits won't work very well without impact. I used them in my concrete raising business for years, but they wouldn't do anything on concrete without impact. If all you have is rotation, you're going to need diamond bits, I'm afraid.
Jim

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll bet the carbide bits won't work very well without impact. I used them in my concrete raising business for years, but they wouldn't do anything on concrete without impact. If all you have is rotation, you're going to need diamond bits, I'm afraid.
Jim
Does not matter that much at this stage as slow going is just fine for making the holes.

I think I will prefer powder for my impact. However if I find a good source for diamond that will be a step up for sure with water for cooling.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That'll work, providing you can get the generator to the locale...LOL
Jim
Any equipment in this neck of the woods all has to be cabled / ziplined in unless you factor in the cost of helicopter time.
The days of mining along the road side are coming to an end unless you get really lucky some how.

OP
OP
Assembler

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does not matter that much at this stage as slow going is just fine for making the holes.

I think I will prefer powder for my impact. However if I find a good source for diamond that will be a step up for sure with water for cooling.
Brand new rock drill from 1989 , Breaking rock with wedges and explosives Pionjär 120

Nice wedges that he uses and I have the same hammer that he uses on his first rock.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pionjars are a very good hammer-drill. I have drilled literally thousands of holes with them. But, don't forget your ear protection...they're LOUD!
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread