Light weight floating sifter

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought I'd share a few pics of the finished product. Not the prettiest but worked very well today. Hit the dollar store and found a plastic oil drain pan, toy beach sand sifter, large pool noodle, small hola hoop, and some zip ties I already had laying around. Drilled some holes, cut out bottom of the drain pan, glued, epoxied, and melted together with soldering iron, tied string on, yada, yada, yada! Anyway here it is, ugly but worked great.

image-160414377.jpg

Now all I need is a third arm!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Attachments

• image-2957519598.jpg
    image-2957519598.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 115
  • image-4137214546.jpg
    image-4137214546.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 119
  • image-3878968283.jpg
    image-3878968283.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
lir, that is one bad a$$ sifter that anyone would be proud to own. When do they begin rolling off the production line? lmao. Good job dude...

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Nice idea using the hula hoop. I think I have all that in the garage. Gonna make me a sifter. Thanks.

sponge using smoke signals.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used floating sifters in the past but they do slow you down. With the use of a Sunspot Stealth scoop all the sand is mostly gone from the basket when it reaches the surface. Then if you want to hunt the dry sand the sifter is in the way.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Lost items, it is not at all ugly! I think that is a most creative product! I really like the color scheme.:hello2:

If I hunted the deep water, I would want one just like that! :headbang:

Lorraine

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya... you could sell these things :)

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you Guys and gals like it, they're very inexpensive to make and work well but like sandman said it definitely slowed me down trying to keep it close enough to use it and hitting the wet sand after was a drag but it has no weight to it so not terrible. Maybe a belt clip to attach it to would ideal when not in use.
Thanks

nscrcr8z

Jun 4, 2011
cullman al
Detector(s) used
v3i/ xl 6000 pro/AT pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you Guys and gals like it, they're very inexpensive to make and work well but like sandman said it definitely slowed me down trying to keep it close enough to use it and hitting the wet sand after was a drag but it has no weight to it so not terrible. Maybe a belt clip to attach it to would ideal when not in use.
Thanks

Looks good! Great job! I use two carabiners on mine with about 8 ft of paracord

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice job. I use a sifter on 95% of my water hunts and wouldn't leave home without it.

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Might be a good idea to add a clip for carrying.
Too much in hand last hunt.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a carabiner clip myself and clip it to my finds pouch loops. I like yours better because you can scan your sifter for the target and I have 1/4 inch hardware cloth in mine and have to look thru the freshwater mussels and stones for my target. Small items can hide in mussel shells and I've even found a small ear ring inside a large caliber pistol casing. Once I got used to it, I don't feel right without it. Looking thru your scoop when it's full of stones or mussel shells takes more time than dumping it in your sifter. One small jewelry item was inside 3 mussel shells and I almost missed it. That's where having plastic sifters beats one with hardware cloth. A quick scan and no time wasted when small items hide in unlikely places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread