Lightning has struck not once - not twice - but thrice - UPDATE!!

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

This morning I told my wife I did not want to hunt the woods that I planned to go to. I have tried all week to find a different site to spend this weekend's hunt. My weekend was cut short by an unusual day of work on Saturday, so I was NOT staying in today. A hunt with no loot is better than no hunt at all.

The predicted rain missed us and instead we had a beautiful day in the 80s. Upon my arrival, I noticed the woods were very saturated from all the recent rain and a lot of standing water was present. I figured I would stick to the high ground and hope for the best. Two weeks ago I spent a couple hours here and found nada. Lots of trash for sure, but nothing old.

About an hour or so into today's hunt I stumbled onto some bricks while digging a target. Nearby I found old glass bottles on the surface. I began to wonder what was there once, if anything. I worked the area well but no dice, nothing worth mentioning. As I began to work my way deeper into the woods and I finally found a good signal that was not an ancient soda can. After battling with 2 roots a big flat button popped out and I let out a yell. This baby is bigger than a quarter, by far my biggest button. As of yet, no detail is visible, but I still have some dirt to clean off.

About a half hour later my second button of the day showed itself. This is smaller, close to a nickle size in diameter. The backmark says "PLATED" and there are a few stars. I am not done cleaning this one, it looks like it may come out nice once finished. I need to head back to that area as I did not cover it well at all(these woods are huge!). About an hour later, I heard a chirp, but kept walking. I glanced at the screen, and saw one of those readings that makes your heart flutter and jumped backwards. It turns out I had just barely brushed over a target with the edge of a swing. A few short seconds after finding it again a big ol' copper disc popped out! My fifth large cent of the year! I had hoped to get a date, but there is severe damage, and I don't think I will be able to get it to reveal it's age. I suppose it really is not nice to ask a Lady how old she is, but I really want to know! I have only been able to date 2 of my coppers so far this year.

Soon after the LC joined the party, I stumbled onto a huge bottle dump! I called my wife and sent a friend an email via her to see if he could come help me date it. I have never done bottles, and he has a good deal of experience with them. After that, I started to head back to the truck - now half a mile behind me - carrying a couple neat bottles. I was planning to head home when Josh called me. I explained what I had found, and he headed straight over. An hour later he arrived, and man did he do a job on that site! We found 2 pieces of intact china(a plate and a saucer) with Navy emblems on them. He said the bottles all seemed to date to the 1920s-1940s. I brought a ton home, and the wife cleaned a few, most are still filthy. There are still hundreds of bottles all over the place there, and about 80-90% are intact. Here are some photos of the ones I brought home. My wife cleaned a few, but most are still filthy. The milk bottle on the front is very nice, it has a phone number on it for the dairy. It has 5 didgits in the number!

bottles1.JPG
bottles2.JPG
navy plate.JPG

It was difficult, but I managed to pry him away to do some more detecting. We had about 90 minutes of daylight left, and what a great time it proved to be. Not 15 minutes in I hit an iffy signal that rang up as a zinc penny about 10 feet from where I found the LC. 4 minutes of digging later, I realized I missed, and the target was on the side of the hole. When I finally found it, I stared in amazement at what I held - a tiny tiny little coin! I walked over and showed him the dirty little thing, and when i handed it to him, he takes his dirty gloved hand and wipes the face hard two times and says, "Yep, she's sittin!" before I could scream. Thankfully there don't appear to be any scratches evident from it. I am glad I was able to teach him how to handle silver coins in the field. After some coaxing, this coin did reveal it's age - 1844!! My second half dime in as many months. This was my oldest silver coin ever, beating out last month's 1857 half dime. This year is off to a great start!

Soon after my excitement lessened, I was back at it when he called me over. He had just dug a ring! It is brass, has a nice design on it, and appears to be very very old. Around that time he noticed a hole, and said, "Man! That looks like a cellar hole! Have you hunted around it yet?" I had not. We stuck near it for the next hour.

10-20 minutes after his ring find, I hit a nice signal in the button range. A few numbers below zinc penny. I told him, "Sweet, another nice signal!" And started to dig. I was hoping for another nice flat button, but what rolled out was ANOTHER tiny silver coin! I spent about 3 minutes gently dabbing the dirt with saliva to try and coax some detail out of it. I was praying for a bust half dime. But that find waits for another day. After a few miniutes I showed him the coin again, slightly cleaner, and he almost fell over. "Dude...I see a shield..." I screamed, felt very dizzy and lightheaded. The coin went right into a very safe place, and only when I got home and cleaned it up did it tell it's story. This little beauty is a 1802 Half Reale!!! Only a short time after setting a new silver record, I had beaten it again!

I began to feel bad for gettin all the goodies, so my next good target I gave to him. It was a very nice looking flat button about the size of a nickle. I have not heard any details about it yet. Soon after this was found, he called me over again, saying, "You will never guess what I just found!" He was right. He had just dug up his SECOND brass ring!! Lucky dog! Both appear to be along the same time period as the coins we found.

Soon after that, the sun started going down, so we grudgingly turned torward the truck. Soon after turning, he walked a few feet in front of me and passed me to the left. After he passed me, I walked right across the path he had just walked, and picked up a chirp in a patch of iron. I said, "Man, you just walked over a good one!" I scanned it from several directions, and almost walked past it too. Sounded like iron pretending to be not iron so I would relieve it from its gloomy resting place. But every other swing that nice chirp sounded through, so I turned on iron mask and dug. When a small silver coin rolled out, I almost fell over, and so did he. This one was clearly visible as soon as it rolled out. SPANISH SILVER!!! And yet again, for the third time today, I broke the record. My oldest silver coin to date, which I don't think will ever be broken, is now a beautiful half reale that is 228 years old. 1781!!!(edited the date - thanks Buckleboy)

As I was revelling in my newfound coin(by sitting down due to feeling lightheaded), he picked up a NICE signal 5 feet from my reale. Out popped a BEAUTIFUL copper coin, and we never saw the detail! All we know is that it is smaller than a LC, and very close to a quarter in size. I cannot wait to hear what he dug, as I suspect it to be a half cent or perhaps colonial. Only time, and peroxide, can tell. A few minutes later I picked up my fourth button for the day - a nice little cuff button. By this time it was almost dark, and we had to call it quits if we wanted to find our way back to my truck.

I do not think I will ever be able to top this hunt. 1 old silver is enough to make me ecstatic - 3 of them is beyond insane. I think I will be spending a lot of quality time in these woods. It appears that there was a fire here at some point - All 4 coins that I found show evidence of being cooked. I also found 3 ticks on me when I got home. And they were not in appropriate places either! How they got down my pants I do not know, but I will be a walking can of DEET next time!

I hope you enjoyed my long winded story. If I bored you, I am very sorry. Either way, I hope there are dozens of colonial silver coins out there for each and every one of us!

Thank you for reading and Happy Hunting!
Anthony

Attachments

• 3-29-09 pre cleaned.JPG
    3-29-09 pre cleaned.JPG
    388.3 KB · Views: 1,488
  • 1802 1844.JPG
    1802 1844.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,482
  • 1761 Reale.JPG
    1761 Reale.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 1,457
Upvote 0

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Re: Lightning has struck not once - not twice - but thrice

As the other half of this party, let me just say this. . .He DID scream!

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I'm going to vote banner here, and I would have even if I hadn't been there. 2 Spanish coins in one day is a gift most of us may never have, and I feel privileged to have been able to be there to see those come out of the ground, and even more so to be able to ID them, as I am still a fairly novice detectorist myself.

I am still waiting on my buddy to clean the copper, so don't think I ain't antsy about this either!

To hold something in our hands that has been in the ground for over 200 years is a precious gift not to be taken lightly, and I congratulate you on your finds Anthony. Thanks for calling me out on that silver brushing too :icon_jokercolor:, but it was another lesson I didn't know and I appreciate it! Look forward to hunting with you again!

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Way Koo lDigs :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey, those are some Wonderful finds!  That many OLD silvers in one hunt is a fantastic day.  :thumbsup:

I am almost 100% certain your half real is a 1781.  Before 1772 they bore the arms of Castile and Leon on the obverse.  Only after 1772 did they have the ruler's portrait on the front--in this case, Carolus III (who reigned from 1760-1788). So your coin dates after 1772.

http://www.spanishcolonialminors.com/pix/banner-pic1W.jpg

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/Sp-milled.intro.html

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, it looks like 1781 to me :thumbsup:

Great finds!!!!!

Rick

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

TreasureFiend said:
Holy cow!!!!! Awesome!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What he said!

Don't worry about the length or content of your post. It sure beats, "went out found old coin did happy dance yee haw ok bye"

Very nice hunt! I loved reading it!

Joe

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quite a nice haul, congratulations.

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field

Great story! An entire career's worth of finds in one hunt! :thumbsup:

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

A day like that certainly deserves some banner consideration! Congrats on what had to be a great time!

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac

Thank you all for the kind words and pats on the back. I appreciate the banner consideration, but I am not sure it belongs there. This was a great day, but the banner tends to have finds of an exponential level compared to this!

BuckleBoy said:
Hey, those are some Wonderful finds! That many OLD silvers in one hunt is a fantastic day. :thumbsup:

I am almost 100% certain your half real is a 1781. Before 1772 they bore the arms of Castile and Leon on the obverse. Only after 1772 did they have the ruler's portrait on the front--in this case, Carolus III (who reigned from 1760-1788). So your coin dates after 1772.

http://www.spanishcolonialminors.com/pix/banner-pic1W.jpg

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/Sp-milled.intro.html

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Thank you for the information. I knew he reigned from 1760 til he died, so I assumed 1761 was legitimate. When I first saw the date after cleaning the coin, I thought 1781, but after looking closer it didn't quite look right. The curl on the top left of the third number does not look right for an 8. Too bad the coin was cooked and smudged the details, or it would have been more clear. I did want to ask, is Carolus III on the 1802 as well? I thought his son was on the throne after him, but it sure looks like the third. Since he died in 1788, it seems odd to me that they would have made coins afterwards with his mug.

I appreciate you commenting here and sharing some of your knowledge with me. You are one of several members here who amaze me with not only your knowledge, but also your ability to score killer old relics and coins. I am always thankful for other detectorists teaching me new things, be it about the hobby or the history of what we find.

Thank you,
Anthony

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anthony,

Thank you for the kind words. :)

The busts are very similar, but the 1802 coin is a Carolus IIII. (Now, if you were to ask me why they wrote "IIII" and not "IV" I'd have have to say "I have not clue--those Spaniards were Crazy."

There's something really exciting about seeing Old Charlie's sour mug on a shiny little silver coin. 8)

Best Wishes to you--and keep the goodies coming!

:thumbsup:

-Buckles

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac

I went back to this site today for a short 1 hour pre-work hunt. I knew time was limited, so I concentrated around where the goodies were yesterday. Well, i was rewarded with not one, but TWO more half reales! They were about 3 feet apart from each other, and appear to have been very badly damaged in said age old fire. The dates on these two crusty silver coins appear to be 1781 and 1783. I would say they appear to be 20 years older, but Buckleboy set me straight with this type of coin. I also managed to find a BEAUTIFUL nickle-size flat button. I then managed to misplace it at work and no longer know where it is.

So after work, being upset at 6:30 with a fading sun, I decided the only logical thing to do was go back to the woods! I only found one coin, and man was it a hearbreaker. The readings were beautiful! And when I saw a small dime-sized coin roll out, my heart jumped. Then, after a minute or so of trying to see some detail, I saw what it was. CLAD. Oy - that hurt my feelings, but I can't really complain. In the hour I spent there, I found 2 keepers. Another nice button about the same size as the one I lost, and an unusual pin. If anyone has any idea as to what this pin could be, please let me know.

I will definatly be back as soon as possible. :)

Thanks for reading and Happy Hunting!
Anthony

Attachments

• button and pin.JPG
    button and pin.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 630
  • 2 more reale.JPG
    2 more reale.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 616
  • 5 crusty silvers.JPG
    5 crusty silvers.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 621
OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac

BuckleBoy said:
Anthony,

Thank you for the kind words. :)

The busts are very similar, but the 1802 coin is a Carolus IIII. (Now, if you were to ask me why they wrote "IIII" and not "IV" I'd have have to say "I have not clue--those Spaniards were Crazy."

There's something really exciting about seeing Old Charlie's sour mug on a shiny little silver coin. 8)

Best Wishes to you--and keep the goodies coming!

:thumbsup:

-Buckles

Wow, big noses must run in the family. Poor old guys :(. I did look at the 1802, and saw his name followed by a lot of I's, and assumed there were 3. Did not make sense to list IIII when IV worked better. I think yer right, they were(and still are) a bit "touched".

Thanks again for the knowledge, I appreciate it!
Anthony

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o ANTHONY! What a hunt!! What a site!! What some amazing finds! :o I KNOW you are having a great time digging up all those fantastic keepers!!! Many congrats to ya!!!

Nana :wink:

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
WOW great stuff, congrats on finding a great site to hunt !

TommNJ

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anthony,

Finally got here to see your spectacular finds. Loved the story and pictures. Can't see why anyone wouldn't get excited about hearing about your finds. It must be hard walking through the woods with that horseshoe. ;D Hope it had something to do with your recent luck. You sure brought some my way with the 1789 coin that Sunday. I am thrilled for you and hope you find many more. Be careful with the warmer weather and the ticks and snakes. The day after our hunt I found a Lone Star tick on me. Nasty little critters. Again, congratulations on your finds.

Hollis

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
foreverRich said:
Anthony,

Finally got here to see your spectacular finds. Loved the story and pictures. Can't see why anyone wouldn't get excited about hearing about your finds. It must be hard walking through the woods with that horseshoe. ;D Hope it had something to do with your recent luck. You sure brought some my way with the 1789 coin that Sunday. I am thrilled for you and hope you find many more. Be careful with the warmer weather and the ticks and snakes. The day after our hunt I found a Lone Star tick on me. Nasty little critters. Again, congratulations on your finds.

Hollis

Thanks for that horseshoe, It must be working!! I am planning to do a serious hunt this weekend. I plan to take a trimmer and rakes, and get deeper than I have before. You are welcome to come with us, Josh will be there as well. I never expected to surpass that 2 Sous, but I went and did just that. Also, I think you mentioned an interest in the bottles. There are a lot of them left there. I plan to take several more home, but you are welcome to any you want.

Anthony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread