Lily Pond Worth Digging??

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone,
This weekend I was speaking with a home owner that has given me permission to hunt their property. House dates back to the mid 1800s. Recently while they were working in their backyard they found a slightly buried cement ring that is around 6 feet in diameter. Too big to be a well so we are thinking it was the lily pond in the formal gardens that the house once had. My questions is do you think it would be worth digging out the ring to see what it may contain? I'm hoping that maybe they used the pond as a wishing well. I would love to hear your thoughts.
NJ

K

Kentucky Kache

I agree with Ron. And if it is a wishing well, you've hit the jackpot.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The owner beat me to the punch. Was going to call him this weekend to see if I could check out the spot. He called me last night to ask if I wanted to check it out this weekend since he plans on having the area filled in next week. I'll let you know if I find anything.

My plan is to detect, dig some out then detect again and keep doing this until I get to the bottom. See what happens.

NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did not dig the entire thing out because it was twice as big as the owner originally told me. Did some test holes and turned up a porcelain door knob and a bunch of horse shoe nails. The ring is located about 50' in front of where a old carriage house use to stand. The owner is having a landscaper dig it out so I will return and detect the dirt that comes out.

NJ

B

BIG61AL

Hmmmm Let me get this straight...you are asking us if it's good idea to search an unseached site from the 1800's????
No, don't search it, you'll never find anything old there. Go to the park and search the tot lot that just got built a week ago...there should be tons of good stuff there. :tongue3:

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BIG61AL said:
Hmmmm Let me get this straight...you are asking us if it's good idea to search an unseached site from the 1800's????
No, don't search it, you'll never find anything old there. Go to the park and search the tot lot that just got built a week ago...there should be tons of good stuff there. :tongue3:

lol...I have searched this site before but I guess I was fishing to find out if anyone had dug a filled in lilly pond before and if so how did they do. Thanks for the laugh.

NJ

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
BIG61AL said:

sorry but i have to diagree with you, i think it would be a good idea to serch the site :tongue3: :laughing9: :toothy4:

this is just a joke ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread