Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Y'all,

I've heard that native Americans didn't make tools from limestone because it was too soft, but I found this last summer down by Rough River in Kentucky. It's a soft limestone and I'm certain that it was worked. When I looked closely, I could see little scratches around the edges where it had been used. It was a surface find in a forested area near the lake that could never have been farmed so I doubt that it's very old. The broken base was found within about 15' of it (not that that proves anything... it was just an item my friend spotted which got the two of us looking around a little more, which led to me finding the limestone scraper). The photos aren't the greatest, but the limestone tool seems to be a large scraper and it fit my left hand perfectly with an indentation for my thumb and everything. I didn't keep it. I gave it to my friend who owns the property where it was found, but I can get more and better photos later this summer if anyone would like.
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG
IMG_0310.JPG

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Upvote 0

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
My late Grandfather dug a limestone axe out of a rock shelter in Eastern, Ky. I recently dug a limestone drill or gouge out of the same shelter. Don't be fooled by those that have collected for 100 years and have yet to find a limestone artifact.

Mother nature can do wonders to limestone but she can't fake an axe or gouge.

Attachments

• awl.JPG
    awl.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 82
  • axe1.JPG
    axe1.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 233
  • axe.JPG
    axe.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got any photos of the drill or axe? I'd like to see 'em.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! Thank you for posting the photos. I'd be thrilled to have a drill or axe like those (made from any material) in my collection! I'd say that being limestone would make them that much more rare. Those may be of interest to archaeologists, since you know where they were found. Anything limestone would be out of place in much of eastern Kentucky, at least beyond the eastern Knobs physiographic region. If you're heading down the Mountain Parkway, the limestone pretty well ends in Powell County heading eastward and southeast-ward, except for a thin band along Pine Mountain.

I like Captain Al's and Gary's hoes too (regardless of material)! If anyone has other limestone artifacts to show off, let's see 'em!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I have found limestone relics in the past. They are not what I would say are common, but its not uncommon to find one. A quick look through some images I found 4 relics made of limestone collected over the span of about 50 years. So not extremely common. 2 from Missouri and 2 from Indiana. All are tools of sorts, not what I would call blades. All where found in fields I had hunted for years.

The large relic was found about 1985, on a very cold winter day. I had to lug that monster for about 2 hours. At first when I found it I tossed it back down thinking 'man I am NOT hauling that thing around for hours it the cold. I weighs so much it I will be leaning to the right all day.'

The girl I was hunting with convinced me to keep it. So I put it in my coat pocket and yes it was heavy to haul around.

I found many great relic in that field. All where found in plowed fields where very little other limestone was found in the fields, but rock outcrops were found along the bluffs in unplowed forested areas.

The frame is 12 x 18 for reference.

limestone2.jpg

limestone1.jpg

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I’d’ve lugged it around too. What purpose do you think the two shown served?

You’ve got some nice pieces in those cases.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
The family property is in that vicinity. On the property is a rather large exposed limestone outcrop. We are also fortunate to have a small shelter that has embedded hematite, for whatever reason, a lot of effort was used to extract it. Turd stone at some point was of interest and perhaps useful, most likely Woodland era.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread