Limited mobility and the love of dirt fishing.

digit13

Sep 19, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter sharpshooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have spine stenosis and arthritis pretty bad and have been looking into ways to help. I can't dive to the ground and run around in celebration like the Diggers guys. It's always ok or bad days. I have a walker that I can sit on and such. I'm looking into auger type drill bits and other ideas and was wondering if anybody else has problems like this oe any suggestions. Sorry for the long post. Thanks, mb

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Had an operation on my back, and the doc damaged my sciatic nerve, so my legs are really weak, along with sore knees, so I can't get down and dig, and walking in sand is out of the question. This has been going on for three years, and I'm slowly getting better, but at 80, repairs to the body just take a long time, and other things crop up to mess with you. I've tried using a walker, and it would probably work, but I need one with large balloon tires, because the one I got from the VA has narrow wheels, and it sucks when trying to use it off road, so to speak. I haven't tried using an auger, but a longer handled shovel with a narrow blade would probably be best, even if I have to cut the blade down myself to get what I want.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reality: Unless you are physically able to bend down, drop to one knee, dig a target, or swing the metal detector for more than 15-minutes at a time, you need to find a new hobby. Metal detecting is physical work. Fat and out of shape folks can lose weight and build stamina, but if you are physically unable, it's over. I know one fellow that swings and has his granddaughter dig and recover the targets. If you can find a partner great. If you can't it is time to find another hobby. :skullflag:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a rolator which is a walker type with large wheels and a confortable seat with a back.. I can carry the detector and all my gear plus liquid refreshment very easy even over rough ground. When you have the need you can just set down and kik back for a few minutes to regain strength and away you go again. I use the "Drive" brand with the large wheels.

Rollators ? Rolling Walkers ? Walkers ? justWalkers.com

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to switch to playgrounds, tot lots and volleyball courts. If they are sand you can use a long handled water scoop to retrieve your targets. Wood chips are just tad bit more challenging but you can use a long handled digger or even your foot to uncover the target and the long handled scoop to pick it up. Won't find anything old but you can still find jewelry and other interesting stuff there.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Go on YouTube and check out the Power Chair Detector. He does his detecting from a motorized chair. His videos may give you some ideas.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where there's a will, there's a way.

I haven't been able to kneel to recover a target in over 5 years, knees won't let me. So i do a lot of bending at the waist.
Don't give up, you'll work it out.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My detecting is also limited. Severe osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease plus knees (after arthroscopic surgery) and hips that won't cooperate. Toss in Dupuytren's Contracture of the hands just to make it interesting. I carry a foam pad to kneel on because my days of squatting while digging are behind me. But I figure going out and doing it will be better in the long run that allowing my joints to petrify by not using them.

Pain makes man think. Thought makes man wise. Wisdom makes life endurable.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread