Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I found this link to be interesting:

State Listing - Municipal Code Corporation

Unfortunately, it doesn't have most smaller cities on there. Perhaps the list of cities who subscribe to it, in the future, will grow. If you click on the state, and then choose a city, you can scroll down there to search and see if there's anything prohibiting metal detecting. I suppose it could be a "city wide" thing (for any city grounds/land), or something in the sub-section only within the park's and rec. rules.

And unfortunately, there's no search box (that I can see). I suspect you have to be paying member to use their search function. Because once you can, then you could just effortlessly use search terms like "metal detector", and "... detecting", and so forth. If it comes up silent on the subject, presto, must not be prohibited
1.png

I searched my own city, under the parks and rec. tab, and there's nothing there (aside from the usual verbage disallowing alterations, "cutting" and so forth). I haven't searched under the rest of the city, for if there's something city-wide. But I'm already certain there isn't. And actually, there's very few cities in the entire USA that ever have something so specific. I've heard of a few, and a few others yet that have some sort of "permit". But it is very rare, and the vast majority of cities, it's just something that's never given any thought. If you ever are booted, it would invariably fall under the "alterations" or "defacement" stuff, because rarely ever is "metal detectors" addressed down to city and county levels of govt.

Still though, if your city you intend to go to is here, and you find it silent on the subject (which it no doubt will be), this is still handy to print it out, and say "but I saw no prohibitions on metal detectors". Of course, this will not solve all bootings, as I say. But ....... oh well
1.png

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool. I looked up San Antonio, but know most of the city codes. They can't get people to register their pets($5), put them on a leash and pick up after them. They don't worry too much about treasure hunters.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom upper right side is a search function I tried and it worked for me. I searched metal detector, nothing came up, researched just detector and got several links for radar and smoke detectors......

Thanks for the link..............

chakra22

Oct 26, 2012
Columbus Michigan
Detector(s) used
Newbie --Researching for one now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very good site, thanks of the info

Looks like if you -- Willfully dig -- (cut a plug) you better have permission first--New Baltimore michigan , and probaly a lot of other city parks too

No person shall, in any city park, do or cause to be done any of the following without first obtaining a permit from the director of parks and recreation:

(1)

Willfully mark, deface, or injure in any manner or displace, remove or tamper with any park building, bridge, table, bench, fireplace, railing, paving or paving materials, water line or other public utility or parts thereof, park sign or marking whether temporary or permanent, monument, stake, post or other structure or equipment, facility, or park property of any kind.

(2)

Willfully dig, cut, remove, or move from any park or park area any sand, wood, turf, grass, gravel, shrub or other material or make any excavation by hand, tool, equipment, blasting or any other means.

(3)

Construct or erect any building or structure of any kind, whether permanently or temporarily, or run or string any public utility into, upon or across a park.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
chakra22, if you come to that conclusion, that your hobby, by mere definition, is "altering" "defacing" "injuring" "tampering", and so forth,.......... then sure. You might as well give it up now, and choose another hobby. Because I can gaurantee you, even before you bother looking up laws and codes in ANY city, that there are laws that forbid you from destroying, altering, defacing, vandalizing, etc..... I mean ,..... duh. Did you ever think you could waltz up to a city desk-clerk and say "hi, is it ok if I vandalize, alter, and destroy the park please?"

You HAVE to get away from this mindset, that your hobby is automatically defined by, and equivalent to, those things. To think otherwise, and you might as well give it up now.

Here's the rationale: ALL such terms DINTINCTLY and INHERENTLY apply to the END result. Do they not? I mean: if you leave the area with no trace of your having been there (pack it back, fluff it up, leave no marks, etc...), then technically you have not alterED, defacED, vandalizED, tamperED, displacED, injurED, anything, now have you??

This is not to say that someone might not come up and debate the semantics of that interpretation (d/t the temporary evil process of extraction). Sure! Avoid such lookie-lou busy-bodies and go at low traffic times! And sure, semantics might not rescue you from the technicalities of the verbage that disallows "removing" and "collecting", etc.... All such verbage that forbids harvesting, collecting, taking, etc.... were laid down LONG before the advent of metal detectors. They were made so that no one could think he can back up his truck to the park and load up his pickup truck with all the tanbark from the playground. Or someone helping himself to the swingsets, etc... But do you REALLY think someone cares if your 5 yr. old daughter picks up a seashell off the beach? NO, of course not. But does this *technically* run afoul of verbage that disallows "harvesting" "taking" and "collecting"? sure. I mean, c'mon, a little reality check here is in order.

If this still bothers you, that you find such verbage, and that not every one might not welcome you with loving arms and neon signs saying "detecting is welcome here", then ...... stick with private property. Because as I say, the verbage exists everwhere. And given enough wrangling and trying, and asking enough bureaucrats, you can ALWAYS find a way to proclude yourself from even the most innocuous of sandboxes.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe that San Diego is not on the list. It would probably take up too many terabytes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread