DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got back out this evening. Didn't have much time to hunt so I went to one of my older spots that is closer to home. It is a old farm field that the local hunting club leases, or use to lease? I had permission all the way around, even still posted with the hunting clubs sign's. But anyway right about the edge of dark a couple guys walked up to me and asked me what I was doing. Then one say's your not supposed to be here, and I reply says who? He says me, then I reply who are you? Arrogantly he says I am the guy that owns this. By this time I was a little shookin up , kind of wanted to smack the piss out of his arrogant little ass, I mean I have been hunting this place for years. Anyway his Daddy just bought the land about a month ago. He told me not to come back so I guess it is just one less place to go now, Gonna miss the place but what can I do? Anyway here are the few things I found this evening, few flat buttons, archaic point, and a little suspender buckle.-- HH everyone,GL 001.JPG 002.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 12

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Life's too short to be a #rick. I've dealt with people like that and most of them are just miserable people.
Metal detecting keeps me from becoming one. All you can do is move on. Clad you got to hunt it for a while

HH, Relic Nut

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He just didn't know how to say it with class, just hate them types, surprised he didn't confiscate your finds.
there is a way to approach someone and there is a way not to, I mean I didn't know these guys from Adam and they walked up to me like they wanted to fight. They where pretty big boys, young and scrappy lookin, probably 20 years old or so. But don't think they where big enough to get in my pockets, lol

summerjoy

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a question for the experienced in getting permissions. How do you approach people about metal detecting their property!? Do you offer to show them what you find or pay a fee? I'm just want to get some idea. Thank you very much.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. If you had played it right, you may have become the sole hunter for that land. (I know we have)
I should have handled it a little better, I think my emotions got the best of me.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Life's too short to be a #rick. I've dealt with people like that and most of them are just miserable people.
Metal detecting keeps me from becoming one. All you can do is move on. Clad you got to hunt it for a while

HH, Relic Nut
thanks relic. Yes it is too short. Its funny, one of the things I like about hunting is to get away from people, but damn if they don't find me:laughing7:

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Summerjoy" Just try to approach them in a calm friendly manner. Just tell them it is a hobby of your's and would it be ok if you metal detected their property. If I get the permission I always tell the land owner if I hit the big one we will split it in a joking manner. It's good to visit and share some of your finds with them after permission is secure. That's one thing I need to start doing is more visiting

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Summerjoy" Just try to approach them in a calm friendly manner. Just tell them it is a hobby of your's and would it be ok if you metal detected their property. If I get the permission I always tell the land owner if I hit the big one we will split it in a joking manner. It's good to visit and share some of your finds with them after permission is secure. That's one thing I need to start doing is more visiting
We try to put together a small display with a bullet or two and maybe a button. Also we put the landowners name and " finds from property of..." They seem to really like it. A little effort to show your appreciation goes a long way.

HH, Relic Nut

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Over the years we have learnt that good/strong relationships pay for themselves. Our landowners know landowners, once your trusted they do the permissions for you. If you had visited a little more, you might of heard it was being sold (this happens to us) & get a good word in with the next owner.

There is a lesson here for everyone.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, but I don't know, he might get that attitude from daddy? In any case you are right, not gonna stress it too much. There is plenty of land out there. I still have a couple other places to go. But it is a shame. I am sure you know how it is when you get attached to a place. I go way back with this place, since I was a little kid even before I started detecting, fishing a pond that is over there and stuff. Gonna miss it that's for sure.

Yeah, I know. But, it sounds to me like you still have nothing to lose. If you want to hang on to it, then I would go, hat in hand, and try to explain the situation and why you got so upset. What's the worst case? He laughs at you and kicks you off? What'd you lose?

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is too bad. New people up our way have been buying up property and won't even listen.....JUST A FLAT NO!!!!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW.
You, and most won't like what I have to say here. It seems this is a very one sided argument, with only CRUSADER on the other side, IE having some respect for the owners.
Hunting on other people's land is a great privilege that seems to escape most people with MDs, And that it kind of proven by the replies to this thread. Instead it seems to be thought of some kind of right, "hey I bought the machine". And of the perhaps thousands of "door knocking" posts I have read in 8-9 years, I don't recall hardly more than a single time of the hunter offering something to the owner. One case in particular was a class ring found, which was a recent drop, wasn't mentioned to the owner who obviously would have known the owner of said ring, that's another story, but the idea is still the same.

I ask in earnest "what incentive does a land owner have to offer permission to a MDer in the first place ?" NONE, absolutely none, it is the pure generosity of those good folks that many of us get to hunt at all. An MD is just a poor door stop without a place to use it.

This is one prime example, instead of being polite to the new owner, among other things states "wanted to smack the piss out of his arrogant little ass" He, the arrogant, ass was the owner (or son of, same thing) Like CRU said if you handled it better you may still be there, and have it all to your self. Looks like it would have been worth it too.
Something to think about.

I'm ready for the flack.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the land is really good.... might be worth calling the land owner and telling him about the conversation you had with his son. Apologize for being on the land and tell him the situation and that you've always respected the property.

Especially if the kids were only 20.

Can't hurt

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss, I have been on both sides of this story. Here in south Jersey allot of people have some kind of entitlement issues about trespassing. One guy when trespassing on my property told me that it was a "grey area" I just told him he was trespassing and was not welcome to come back. A year later he shows up again ( he liked looking for arrow-points) He was always there very early/daybreak, this time I told him to leave and if I ever seen him around I would call the police and press charges. This has nothing to do with your story, just that it is frustrating on both sides. I had a permission go bad when I showed the owner what I found, He informed me that the historic society said there would be no more digging on the property. (I think he decided to dig after seeing what I found) Other permissions the owners want nothing, it's about personalities, character and how I present myself. I have only been doing this about three years or less. I have had a few good sites close up on me only to have to move on and find another place to hunt. It was hard for me also to move on.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I FEEL YOUR PAIN - FRIEND AND I HAD SIMILAR SITUATION MONTH AGO - HAD PERMISSIONS FOR 20 YRS FROM FATHER
FATHER DIED RECENTLY AND SON - THOUGH HE KNEW US - TOLD US DONT OME BACK ANYMORE - IT WAS NOTHING WE DID
BUT HE AND OTHER FARMERS CAUGHT GUYS HITTING THEIR FIELDS WHILE PLANTED LAST YEAR - SO THANKS TO THOSE A HOLES
WEVE LOST A FEW MORE GOOD FIELDS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions