tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw this little hawk walking the dogs yesterday and I'm not quite sure what type of Hawk it is? I originally posted it as a Cooper's Hawk, but that's not it. It's possibly a red-shouldered hawk and it's smaller than a Cooper's Hawk, but the chest markings don't quite look like a red-shouldered hawk, but that could be the way it has its feathers tuffed. Also it has a shorter tail then most Hawks around here.

Attachments

• IMG_20191209_030039.jpg
    IMG_20191209_030039.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for sharing. A beautiful bird.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You saw it walking Ollie and Bella,how long did it take to catch up to them?:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You saw it walking Ollie and Bella,how long did it take to catch up to them?:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

They're always on a leash. Ollie runs after coyotes and he's also not real friendly with other dogs, but I'm breaking him of that, because the truth is he's insecure and thinks acting trough will prevent any conflict. Bella never stays close off the leash and she'd be done for if a coyote spotter her far from me. Here's another pic of this little hawk and the day before I saw an owl trying to stay out of the blasting wind. It was far off and I took the picture with max zoom and had to lighten the original a bit so you could tell it was an owl

Attachments

• P1120586 (1).jpg
    P1120586 (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • P1120584 (1).jpg
    P1120584 (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Picture!...Wondering if it may be a Merlin?
Might be Ron. It was in between the size of a cooper hawk and a kestrel with a short tail. Looking at the Merlin, the white eyebrows do look the same as other merlin photos online.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it a Chicken Hawk? I checked. Cooper hawk and Chicken Hawk are one in the same.
It does look like a young Cooper.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice shot, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it a Chicken Hawk? I checked. Cooper hawk and Chicken Hawk are one in the same.
It does look like a young Cooper.
The Cooper's are rather plentiful around here and that's probably what it is. I do know how they got the name chicken hawk. Once I was in the back yard and I heard the neighbors chickens making a ruckus just on the other side of the privacy fence. I looked over it and down below there was this Cooper's Hawk standing in front of three hens in the corner of the fence ready to pick-off one. The hawk looked up at me and quickly perched right up beside me on the top of the fence for a moment staring me in the face and then took off.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pic must be in a great outdoor spot very cool

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pic must be in a great outdoor spot very cool
It's actually in the middle of the Colorado front range urban sprawl, with the sounds of thousands of rubber tires and low rumbling internal combustion engines rolling down the many miles of freeways in the distance and jet airliners lifting off overhead every 10 minutes. Still nature prevails in any area left undeveloped. It was rather nice my country decided to set aside quite a few acreages as open space forever more. What's odd is not that many folks really visit these areas, because they'd all rather head to the high country and without these open spaces I believe I couldn't live here, as long as I have.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
The first pic, I was thinking, "Aw, so cute!" Then, I saw the second pic of it. That is an awesome shot! The owl is cool. You have a good eye for spotting these creatures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread