Little help heading to the beech for a night hunt NOW lol

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading to a busy beech on vacation, it's been so packed with people during the day, I decided to hit it now midnight in Cali.. I'm pretty much gonna skim the best I can for some gold etc jewelry. I have an Excal II and Xterra 705 gold with me. Excal has the stock 10" coil and the 705 has the stock 10x5 coil. I have 3 days experience on the Excal and 100's on the 705 with many gold items found. I know there's gold here. My plan is to skim it for fresh drops and not get wet. However, I don't have much salt experience with either. What machine?

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit that I don't have any experience with either one of those MD but if you are wanting to do a quick/ stealth type hunt and get results, I would want the machine that I had the most experience with, won't have to guess what the MD is telling you- that means the 705 would be my choice. JMHO

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The excal that you have is an excellent salt-water machine. There's next to zero percent of saltwater beaches here in CA that that won't handle. The rare exceptions would be next to gully-wash outflows, or at the top by cuts following extreme erosion. But I doubt you'll run into any factor like that. Thus the Excal suffices for 99% of all wet-sand hunting here.

The seas here have been very calm for many months now though. So I'm guessing that most of the wet sand will be sterile right now (ie.: sand coming "in", will be "soft", etc....). Oh sure, you'll have yesterday's drops though. And if you're in warm water (So. CA) beaches where people can wade and swim w/o wet suits, I suppose extreme crowds, followed by very minus tides, might put you on top of some recent-loss jewelry.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

OP
OP
B

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the Excal at Sabta Cruz main beach. I found some fake large hoop earrings and a good amount of clad, and where bobby pins hide 12"+ down lol where's the gold. If you hunt this beach it's been packed real packed since Thursday. I didn't do much dry sand I went with the waters edge and got set after all. I only hunt our salt beaches 2-3 times a year since I live in sacramento but found the clad pattern and bobby pin. I wanted to ties a string to a ring and see if the waives pulled it out or if it sunk where it dropped. I know giving away gold secrets you have worked hard to learn isn't what ya wanna do bit if anyone can give me a tip or two on surf lost gold, I can return some personal hunts in sac or return some of my gold secrets for land :). I'm not the best but started 4 months ago, and last weeks gold was 22 grams and 10 (just counted w wife) gold rings so far. Help me. I saw other stuff at the beach of a local wants to know...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread