Little help with AT pro pls

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
New to the AT Pro and have watched the training videos which were good. Got a fairly good hang of it as I was using a GT 1350 prior to this for a bout 8 months.

I was recently given permission to hunt the grounds of a 100 year old farm house by the owner who was born in that house.

In recent years, it has been used to house migrant workers who come in every year to plant and pick the strawberries.

I went there today for a short while and as expected on just about every other step I would encounter a beer bottle top or coke top or crushed beer and soda cans buried in the yard. The yard is mowed short which is good. The signal would usually be for a penny or a little higher.

I put it on Pro mode to try to obtain the different tone that an iron target should make but had little success. The targert Id, after automatic ground balance, was almost always around 78 to 82-3 on those targets. I did actually find one real penny, a 1974, with the same readings.

Looking for any hints as to a better way to tell the difference between the bottle tops and a good or better target, IF there is any. More experience with the machine will obviously help, but a short cut would be nice. \\ Thanks for reading, Smitty.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure some one will chime in here on that detector yet.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok so:

On copper pennies and dimes you will almost always get 80-82. Pinpoint is your friend here. Try to use "the amount of time you hear the tone as you pass over the object" to approximate the size of the object. You can almost always tell a can using this method. Cans have a nice high tone but after you dig 50 or so cans you will know when you have found one. Now, 99% of the time I can tell if it is a coin based on the tone and the ID.

Indian Heads will read anywhere from 60 to mid 70s. Nickels are usually 53 but I have seen 52-54. Buttons are often 53 and sound very similar to nickels. Never had the pleasure to dig a large copper (with the ATP) so I cant help you there...

When you hit a coin target versus a bottle cap, you will know it. With coins, you will get a nice crisp, clear and clean tone with consistency. Bottle caps will sound broken or "not smooth". Note: these tips will only hold true under optimal conditions. If the coin is on its side or you are in some highly mineralized dirt - all bets are off...

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately, you can't discriminate out the caps. You need to go slow and learn the sound. Put the detector in pro mode and detect. It's not all that different from standard and the signal information you'll get will tell you a lot more about size. Using iron audio in pro with a slow sweep should help get you the low-high-low signal the manual describes . Sometimes you can still get fooled but learning the sounds will help.

Also keep in mind that the trash will mask good targets below and mixed in. To increase your chances of getting good target signals, consider a small concentric sniper coil or the 5x8 DD coil available for the AT Gold/ AT Pro.

OP
OP
smittyw

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Excellent information. Thank you both.

dwentzel228

Greenie
Jun 25, 2011
Well with my experience with my AT Pro, there is a distinct lowhighlow tone for bottle caps. I was getting pretty good at it but would still dig one once in a while. I would take a bottle cap burry it in a clean area and listen real close. It will take time, after awhile I would dig the BC sound and 90% of the time it was a BC. The difference is pretty small and if in doubt dig it. The sniper coil is killer in those trashy areas too. I know I don't post much here but use another site more, I have 6 months use on my AT pro.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dwight S said:
Unfortunately, you can't discriminate out the caps. You need to go slow and learn the sound. Put the detector in pro mode and detect. It's not all that different from standard and the signal information you'll get will tell you a lot more about size. Using iron audio in pro with a slow sweep should help get you the low-high-low signal the manual describes . Sometimes you can still get fooled but learning the sounds will help.

Also keep in mind that the trash will mask good targets below and mixed in. To increase your chances of getting good target signals, consider a small concentric sniper coil or the 5x8 DD coil available for the AT Gold/ AT Pro.

I think Dwight has some good advise here. If you have the time and permission I would just go slow and clean the areas with high concentrations of junk. I have actually come to enjoy digging junk, the signals are more exciting to me. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions