Little Odds and Ends

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening. Lots of interesting contributions lately. Figured I’d share a few things that I found laying in the road (literally).
IMG_2530.jpeg

Little dime size point that’s seen a tiny bit of abuse.

Then an obsidian flake that has been sharpened on both sides. Likely a complete disposable blade there that you would grip between your thumb and index finger then toss when it got dull or you were done.

Then part of a fresh water mussel shell..maybe a portion of a spoon? Or just spoils from dinner. Decoration? Don’t know.

Upvote 6

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good evening. Lots of interesting contributions lately. Figured I’d share a few things that I found laying in the road (literally).
View attachment 2135943

Little dime size point that’s seen a tiny bit of abuse.

Then an obsidian flake that has been sharpened on both sides. Likely a complete disposable blade there that you would grip between your thumb and index finger then toss when it got dull or you were done.

Then part of a fresh water mussel shell..maybe a portion of a spoon? Or just spoils from dinner. Decoration? Don’t know.
That little guy is sweet. What state are you in?

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It always amazes me what we find after a heavy rain or after the snow melts here in the north. :thumbsup: I'm doing a field walk this morning of an old home site I detected for many years. It's now being developed by a home builder, so this may very well be my last chance. :sadsmiley:
- Dave

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obsidian makes such pretty artifacts. The mussel shell is a good indicator there may be plenty more artifacts in the area. My two best spots have mussel shells

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obsidian makes such pretty artifacts. The mussel shell is a good indicator there may be plenty more artifacts in the area. My two best spots have mussel shells
They packed the shell in a couple miles. I find pieces here and there. I had read that later in the summer when the water gets warm, the mussels build up toxins and you would get sick if you ate them. The cure was a tea made from the sap of a sugar pine tree. These trees are sparse around here and therefore it was taboo to cut down a sugar pine.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It always amazes me what we find after a heavy rain or after the snow melts here in the north. :thumbsup: I'm doing a field walk this morning of an old home site I detected for many years. It's now being developed by a home builder, so this may very well be my last chance. :sadsmiley:
- Dave
Get in there while the machines are moving the dirt around to begin the site development. I've found most of my artifacts here in Florida that way. I used to look in the fill dirt being trucked in but many years ago they began using fill that is screened to keep out debris. That killed the artifacts & sharks teeth finds.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread