Little or lots of advise on new spot.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
New to forum but not to MDing. Been detecting since the 80's on and off, but more off than on, unfortunately. Been through probably 8 machines... not always used enough.
Anyway. Last weekend I got approval of the owner of a large field (10+acres?) next to the first ever road in a local town. This road originally started use in 1635. So I went MDing for 4 hours last weekend, closer to the road side rather than his 1800's farm house side. Not a lot of finds to speak of. 1900-S Barber dime, 1922 wheat and a older unexciting button.
Today I got permission from a different property owner in another section of town to hunt his 1740 house yard. House is very run down, he is a new owner and will be fixing it up and renting. I also found out this house was an early post office in town. The yard also runs along a large stream. There are still granite tie-ups in the front for horses, so people could get mail I guess. The new owner cleared a lot of woods and over-growth so some additional areas opened-up. I have no idea if it was MD'd before, but possible. I will have unknown Spring 2011 access to both.. crops and new tenants ect... so probably not too much.

Some questions, probably more too?

1. Which should concentrate hunting now, baring any unknowns.
2. House-Where should I start at the house? Front, back, side. (probably 1acre total to hunt)
3. House-any recommendations on the stream (it's big enough for trout, maybe 4-6ft wide).
and drops down (ie 4-5ft lower than the yard is) May be able to hunt stream banks??? Worth it?
4. House-Should I be in Relic mode? Should I work it very slow or faster to clean-up, and go though again?
5. Field -Where might be the better, more productive area's? Recommendations to work it a a decent pace.
6. House - How could I find the trash area(i.e. where they might have thrown it). Could I find it with the detector?
7.. Should I coin/Jewel mode to save time and work more areas? Less digging.

I am going to hunt the house for approx. 4 hours on Sunday as a test run. Leaning towards the front first. (very close to the road) 5-20ft.
Additionally the owner is buying a house built in 1800 also, I should have access in Spring.

Problems are; cold coming, early sunset, work (bummer), kids busy ect.. all the usual stuff everyone faces.
Also new to the V3i, so any help there at these type of sites would be appreciated.

Started back up MDing last month. Nothing exciting. 2 silvers, around $15 clad. Not a lot of luck at totlots, tried probably 10 and found 1 dime... oh well, seemed a lot of people did well with them. XR-1coming in soon, much needed, just have the bullet II.

Sorry soooooo winded, not usual for me, just excited about two promising sites.

I will try and post a photo of the house and stream tomorrow... and maybe a find there! :) Thanks for any and all help. Love this site, and all the great information and finds, check it every day.

My two cents.. REALLY PAYS TO ASK PERMISSION, well not yet anyways, but hoping for some finds to share!

Thanks Sean

Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the new site Only advise Slow and steady!!!! HH Chug
If you have any questionable areas remember where they are and Hit them Hard

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just start gridding one area at a time, and have fun.. MR TUFF

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would hunt the stream banks on both sides, any fence or field lines and any areas around large trees. Good luck to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread