Little outing with the Vaquero today

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out of real leads to detect, so I went back to a sidewalk that i had detected 2 years ago. I remember not finding anything 2 years ago, although there should be something there, because the entire city is old and the sidewalk has 150 year old trees growing into it literally. I had sort of permission at an foreclosed house, but I didn't go on the yard because it is for sale and I didn't want to be walked on by a realtor, so I detected the sidewalk and found two wheats. The silver ring was found the first 20 minutes on the sidewalk.

I've been using the Vaquero more than any detector lately. It has been producing some really deep coins, although I've been finding a lot of bottle caps, because there is a lot of trash where I detect and those bottle caps sound great under the coil. I am not sure what he metal hinged piece is.

20160224_162423.jpg 20160224_162435 (1).jpg 20160224_162446.jpg

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Pointman! I haven't had a chance to do a real hunt with the 11x8 Vaquero but did a 30 min spin thru my 1.5 acre backyard and was surprised at what I found. I dug a copper penny at the depth of my pinpointer that I know I have been over before. Guess I could have just missed it in the swinging technique but I sure knew it was a copper/dime/or quarter since it was a nice soft repeatable all the way thru thumb roll. I called 3 square tabs and 3-4 zinc pennies before I dug them all while in pitch black darkness. There disc circuitry really is spot on.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Pointman! I haven't had a chance to do a real hunt with the 11x8 Vaquero but did a 30 min spin thru my 1.5 acre backyard and was surprised at what I found. I dug a copper penny at the depth of my pinpointer that I know I have been over before. Guess I could have just missed it in the swinging technique but I sure knew it was a copper/dime/or quarter since it was a nice soft repeatable all the way thru thumb roll. I called 3 square tabs and 3-4 zinc pennies before I dug them all while in pitch black darkness. There disc circuitry really is spot on.

You start learning where the sweet spots are on the discrimination knob and you won't forget. I had a Vaquero 2 years ago and remembered where everything hit and I tested my latested one and it was the same. I'm not sure if I've found a machine that works as well where if you have the discrimination set up properly it will only hit solidly on good targets (although some trash comes through). What i mean there isn't guess work that if it doesn't hit well or in all directions that it is trash everytime. I mean even really deep coins will still be consistent in 2 directions. On my CTX if you don't dig some one way only signals you will miss coins.

Last edited:

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Working those grassy areas next to sidewalks is rewarding. Nice going on your finds.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread