little overwhelmed, 0ne day, 100+ artifacts

blazerdog

Jan 20, 2018
northern california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I’m back. And in need of some advice. A couple of years ago I posted some pictures of obsidian pieces I found after a small landslide on some family owned property in Lake county ca. shortly after my discovery the property was rented out. I did manage to recover a few hundred pieces all from the same small area before the renters moved in. For the last 15 months I have been mostly working out of town and not home for more than a couple days here and there. I don’t think that a day went by that I didn’t think about the site and what else could be up there. I’m back home in Yolo county now. I have a camping trailer up on the property and let the renters know I was coming up to secure it for winter. My main objective was to get down to the site and see what’s happened in the last year and a half. Right away I noticed something a little different. We didn’t have much rain last year but enough to cause a small landslide within a few feet where I had been working originally. The slide was not much maybe two or three cubic yards at most. It didn’t make it all the way down to the creek. A few feet above the creek there is a layer of hard packed clay I call the bench. Near as I can tell the whole slide was contained there. The bank is about 18 feet high and almost vertical, the material that came down started at about 12 feet below grade and is made up of dirt and small pebbles usually nothing larger than the size of a pea. That is why the small pile of golf ball to softball size rocks caught my attention. The next couple of storms, must have washed away the mud and dirt leaving just the heavier material. Basically, about 300 rocks and some obsidian. I noticed right away that the rocks seemed out of place. I grabbed four 5 gallon buckets and loaded every rock that was there . These pictures are all the rocks from the first two buckets. Must have had 5 cups of coffee during the night trying to figure out if what I think I am seeing , is what I’m seeing, and if so , how is this possible. Will post pictures of individual pieces soon. I’m not a regular coffee drinker, so maybe after 5 cups my eyes are playing tricks on me but it looks like out of the first 114 pieces over 40 seem to represent the same thing. Will be emptying the other two buckets this evening. I believe the IN OVER MY HEAD SITE , is living up to its name. 20201115_102159.JPG
Code:
[CODE][ATTACH=CONFIG]1898250._xfImport[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1898251._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Upvote 5

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All natural rocks.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the rock collection camp, sorry.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lovely rock collection, enough to start a rock garden.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type of site do you think you are onto? As you’ve been told a number of times your photos show a whole lot of nature made stones .

sylvia40

Nov 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The question I have is: What do you think you see? I can’t even imagine anything.

OP
OP
B

blazerdog

Jan 20, 2018
northern california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20201209_052236.JPG 20201205_052149.JPG 20201205_052149.JPG 20201205_052149.JPG View attachment 1898959 View attachment 1898961 [/ATTACH] View attachment 1898962 Thanks for everyone’s input. As misguided as some of it was.. I am very aware that a lot of times its hard to tell from pictures what your looking at Here are a few more pictures . The obsidian pieces were found just a few feet away from the slide area. The picture with the pencil in it, the stuff on the right side of it I dug out . the stuff on the left of the pencil came down in the slide. With Covid going around its been difficult to get face to face answers. I was able to meet the curator of a local museum who examined many of the stones and was amazed by the detail and number of pieces found in such a small area. He showed me three stones that were found at a paleo site less than three miles from where mine were found. He was overjoyed about hearing I was willing to donate some pieces to the museum. Also a meeting was set up with a geologist , who intern brought in a colleague with a background in petrology who examined many of the stones. A lot of them at the microscopic level. Both of them have no doubt that the stones were not naturally formed. In close up pictures it is very easy to see the same patterns over and over again that were used to remove material. Both of them will be accompanying me up to the site in the near future. Among the three of them a combined total of four PhD. and 94 years hands on experience. Will post some close up pictures of individual pieces later. Thanks for checking out this post and hopefully some of us learned a thing or two. I know I did. As always all input is appreciated personal opinions included. Thanks again for looking. View attachment 1898959

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not April 1st, so I am confused....

This IS a joke, right???

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still just seeing rocks, FYI there are 2000 years of Indian artifact collecting experience on this forum.

Last edited:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
4 experts with 7 PHD's will confirm that I am the true king of Sweden....

apdp

Dec 7, 2010
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly the obsidian but other than that nothing I would consider an artifact. Keep looking and check out benches above the creek for evidence of obsidian flaking.

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't see any artifacts in the pictures. All natural. But keep looking!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread