Living in Cancun, Scoop recommendation !

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi,
I live in Cancun, I have free reign to explore the surrounding regions, the Riveria Maya, Tulum, Playa del Carmen, ETC. For those of you who have visited you know the sand is fine sand, It's impossible to buy a scoop down here so I want to make a one time purchase. Something reliable, durable, and perfect for fine sand.
I have landed on the Stealth 8 Sugarsand classic, my concern is the handle is not at an angle so it would be heavier lifting all the time. I am 21 yrs old so how heavy are these scoops full of sand, I was a powerlifter in high school, point being I'm not weak but 5 hours of lifting a straight handle scoop vs. a angled scoop I would imagine makes a big a difference?
Is this a good scoop? Anyone else own one? Has it ever broke on you? Is it good for fine sand or takes to long to sift out with the smaller holes?

Thank you in advance for those who took the time to reply.
God bless
Jesse

Upvote 0

streetglide

Aug 17, 2011
Santa Barbara ca.
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Excal. 800, 1000
Primary Interest:
Hi Jesse. I will be in Cancun in May. Staying at le Blanc Hotel. I live in California and use the Stealth 8 inch. The only problem is that the holes are so small it thaks a month of sundays to check out whats in the scoop. I also use a 6 inch one piece stainless scoop with 5/8 holes. The stealth digs up more material than the 6 inch scoop. They both have pros and cons. May be we can hook up in Cancun. Thanks Joe.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
2 Words

Stealth Scoops
Stealth-10.jpg

OP
OP
J

jesse09

Banned
Jun 25, 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
So the Sugarsand 8 inch the one usaftrevor87 posted a picture of takes forever to have sand sift through it? Is that what your saying? To a point where its no bueno?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 LETTERS - RTG = NEVER BREAK -
I have seen 5 guys break their wooden handles

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If you are strictly using it in sand, it is wood and will fatigue after a while, but it will take a while.
They break when you start to pry with it, or use it in really rocky, or clay type grounds. Thats not what it was designed for. It was made for the beach hunter.
They also offer it I believe with a fiberglass handle.
If you're in the water then weight won't be an issue, if you're on dry land it is kind of heavy, if you use it wrong. When you scoop you don't scoop then pick it up really high and let it drain. You scoop then bring it to the side of the hole or whatever technique you want to use. You can tip it up so it drains out the sides, but still resting on the beach or you can pick it a little off the ground. Or wash it if you're close to the tide.
The sides are larger holes and the bottom (if you're looking at the photo) are smaller holes to catch the smaller earrings and items. So it really doesn't take that long to sift. This is just one man's opinion. And you know what they say about opinions haha

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have not already done so, You should consider the DeGhetto T-Rex for your area.
It has an open basket, more shield like tip and approx 1/4" square mesh SS basket to catch small stuff like earing posts, with 20 degree angle handle.
From what you stated the sand should easily sift through.

Sunspot scoops have a euro Vish tip which works great when you need to work close to large rocks.
I use the sunspot stealth 720I near jetties and where there are shells as it drains fast with the 1/2 inch holes.

I use both the DeDhetto T-Rex and the Sunspot stealth 720 I and like both.

The Sunspot Stealth 8 Sugarsand classic should work better where you hunt.
I have never used a 90 degree handle, so I cannot comment on that, but I do not think that it will be a problem.
It is super strong as the handle goes all the way to the bottom of the basket.

Last edited:

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
3 LETTERS - RTG = NEVER BREAK -
I have seen 5 guys break their wooden handles

+1 for RTG, built like tank, and they pretty much offer every possible design/material you could want.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread