Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had these things around here before, can you help me ID it? This one is just a little one almost 2" long...I've seen em up to around 4". They're spooky looking, they're whitish/transparent in color. Very hard to catch, they like sitting on the window catching bugs. Believe me this sucker sneaked inside some kind of way, I don't want em in my house. >:(

Thanks!

:wink: RR

lizard.jpg

lizard2.jpg

lizard3.jpg

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Common gecko and gonna be hard to keep them out of the house. Somehow they find a way in. The litle critters are perfectly harmless and love to eat bugs and ants.

Question about the last picture, did you teach it to roll over or is that a postmortem picture? :laughing7:

Grip

Likely Guy

DrGrip said:
Common gecko and gonna be hard to keep them out of the house. Somehow they find a way in. The litle critters are perfectly harmless and love to eat bugs and ants.

Question about the last picture, did you teach it to roll over or is that a postmortem picture? :laughing7:

Grip

I agree, they're a beneficial lizard to the landscape!.

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrGrip said:
Grip

It was still alive, I had the dog to get him. Just flipped it for a pic. Thanks for IDing this critter for me, we never had em before. A friend of mine several years ago mentioned them to me and ask if I wanted some. I told her NO. I believe now she sneaked a few over here. ;D I like the green lizard (anoles), they don't bother me...just this creepy looking thing here. Done some research...

two_wall_geckos.jpg
House Gecko

These house lizards are normally 4 to 5 inches long including the tail. They range in color from a pale, translucent whitish pinkish color to shades of grays and browns with dark bands along the body and rings around the tail. House geckos have large eyes, vertical pupils, and lack eyelids.

Egg shells. Lots of people swear by egg shells. If you place cracked eggshells around the house, in corners, and in windows, the occurrence of lizards should decrease noticeably. Lizards associate the broken shells with larger predators such as birds and larger reptiles.

:wink: RR

T

trish76642

aw RR...he want hurt cha...but he'll keep the bugs away.

Im like you, i dont like creepy crawlers in my house either, he can go out side and catch all the bugs he wants!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
like your other lizards hes harmless (actually helpful ) LIL bug and insect eater truth be known , nothing to fear or sic the dog on.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care for the other lizards too much, as we've got thousands around our house... but those gecko's are my favorites!!!
They're so fun to watch on my window, eating all the little pesky buggies! :thumbsup:
I think they're pretty cute. I do catch 'em if they come inside and let them go back outside, 'cause I don't want my cat to have a new play thing and kill it.

Bran <><

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Eat Geckos? Don't goof and eat a Newt, it may kill ya. We have a few types of lizards here that weren't around in the past. Lots of new bird varieties showing up too.

jayallday14

Jul 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Excal 1000
We have geckos all over the house in Hawaii. Hawaiian folklore says its bad luck to kill them. It wasnt uncommon to see a couple on the ceiling, or just hanging out on the window sills. Never had a problem with them.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I thought. A gecko is a reptile and has dry skin whereas a salamander has smooth, moist skin and are amphibians. Yours looks like a salamander to me. Maybe it's just the pic that makes it look "moist".

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Somebody already beat me to it...dang. I was gonna say, if it starts speaking with an aussie accent, you couls send it to Geico as a stunt double... :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread