Load of Sterling!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to a nice estate sale. Got a nice new stetson hat ($40) and the pictured tray and misc items for $195. May seem like a lot, but there is something like 26.85 oz. of sterling. The tray is International sterling prelude (there was another thread about it, which is why I knew it was really sterling and not just a company name). Anyhow. I may try to sell 10 oz or so in order to pay for the lot. The hat should go for $150 (it is vintage, but unworn). The rest will go into my silver jar (the mexican silver may be collectible, I will have to check out the marks).

NICE Friday... Best thing, They are open tomorrow and sunday. If I can only find the time to go. There are 4 COMMUNITY sales within 10 miles of me tomorrow. 2 are gated communities, 1 is a retirement mobile home park. and one is a very cool residential farm community (2 to 3 acre farm lots). photo.JPG

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang on to that filagree rose. Sooner or later that filagree stuff will be very special IMO. Great buys! I love community sales.

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Hang on to that filagree rose. Sooner or later that filagree stuff will be very special IMO. Great buys! I love community sales.

Do you mean that plate? I may keep it, but it will melt for enough to pay for the whole lot, so...

Back today, They had a bunch of nice mexican jewlery at or below melt. Without my glass or my scale (forgot them), there was little I could do. They did have 4 very heavy sterling forks. About 1.5 to 2 oz each. Paid $15 each. I'll go back tomorrow and look for that mexican silver.

:)

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I'm referring to the rose brooch that is in the upper left of your first picture (pic is upside down). Probably doesn't weigh much for it's size, because it is wire wrapped and mostly air. Filagree jewelry was very popular in the 20s, then it went out of style. Extremely delicate work and difficult to make. The earliest pieces were only marked 92 instead of 925.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure what happened to the photo. I will try to correct it.

I am keeping that piece for my wife's birthday. she loves that kind of thing. i bought her a really nice Butterfly a few weeks ago that had enamel in the wings. It may be gold, I need to get it tested.

I have just paid for a membership, so if anyone is interested in anything in the picture, just let me know (except the flower). I need to make back the money I've paid for that stuff. Sterling is about $.66 a gram now... Lets talk.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need any help id'ing any of the Mexican silver, let me know. If nothing else, I can tell you if they are listed in "The little book of Mexican Silver Trade and Hallmarks". I went on a road trip over the weekend and found a couple nice pieces of Navajo sterling among other things.

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey. Thanks. I will be posting some of the marks later this week, once I go out on Summer Break. Tuesday is the last day of school!

My plan for the first few weeks is to fill Amazon with books I've not had a chance to sell, and to load ebay with the stuff I've not sold on Amazon.

Went back today and bought some last bits of silver. I only bought it if it was $.50 per gram or less (Current price is about $.66 per gram).

Now, where can I sell some Sterling in order to pay off the Visa bill? Suggestions would be appreciated (prices on most of the stuff I have on Ebay is too close to melt. I would lose money with the Fees).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread