Local hunts for the deep iffy stuff.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
No big hunt this past weekend. Too humid, hunting partners tied up, chores, etc. But, I still felt the need to detect. Dan had given me a series of articles by Tom Dankowski(NASA Tom) on metal detecting. Some great reading that got me fired up on Friday. So I headed to the second closest park where Nate and I have dug a lot of deep(6-8) inch wheat pennies. After a digging a few targets I got a deep iffy tone. Dug down and got a 1937 Merc. It was about 6-7 inches deep. I was very happy because we have hit this area so much and have only pulled two silver coins from it. So I filled the hole but swung my coil over it “just to make sure” there was nothing else. Got a null(I was hunting in IM -15). I thought I better check it out. Dig down a little more and a wheat pops out. The stuff from the 1 hour hunt:
Merc1.jpg

I came home and waited for Nate to get home from school so I could show him of my metal detecting prowness. ;) ;D Now he has been whining to me about not metal detecting in like “months” and when are we going to go to the ‘berg….so I thought he might be mad when I showed him my sweet little score. He was like “cool”. No biggie.
The baseball pendant says either 3-73 or is it .373 for batting average?
Mercback.jpg

Sunday I had another hour. Since we had gotten a lot of rain I decided to hit another place that has produced a barber quarter, a WLH dollar, silver dimes, silver quarters, and plenty of wheats. The thing with this site is that they built two new schools on the old property. The one area you can get coins but you have to dig through 4-5 inches of gravel/clay fill before you get down to the original soil. The ground has to be very moist to be able to pick up the coins that are down at the 6+ inch level. Some of the signals were good sounding and some were very, very bad sounding. Found 10 wheat pennies but no silver. Still fun and great practice digging those really iffy deep signals.

Wheats1.jpg

Finally, stuff I found from the other local hunted out park on the east side. The Buffalo Nickel I posted before but not in it’s cleaned up state. It was found in Sandusky, Ohio.
WilverBuffalo.jpg

HH all!

Bob

Upvote 0

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bunch of finds, especially that merc. It didn't come out of the ground looking that good, did it?

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
willie d said:
Nice bunch of finds, especially that merc. It didn't come out of the ground looking that good, did it?

That's what I thought! Man, that thing's in great condition :o

Congrats!
Smitty

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
You're really knocking them out of those deep signals. That's a very nice haul for the weekend. Keep em coming!

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
willie d said:

No willie. It did have some tarnish. I didn't have to clean it too much. I use the mother's mag polish from walmart.

Oh, yeah I made a little goof. The Merc is a 1936 not 1937. :P

Bob

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Awesome post and photos per usual Bob. Nice batch of finds my friend. Congrats! I think I like the old baseball medal the best, very cool old find.

Smiles!
BDoo

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a lot of wheat and a very nice Merc Bob---Congrats on another good hunt.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Way to go, Bob. Keep at it; that Large Cent will appear when you least expect it.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alway's some good find's Mirage....Need to go over a few place's myself.The iffy signal's are starting to pan out in the long run,never know...Just gotta stay on the "Learning Curve" of your macine....Congrat's and HH!!

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats why i dig a lot of the deep iffy signals..you never know unless you go after them!!!!
Splendiforous finds!!!!!!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
That's great for hunted out parks, Bob! I'll bet that rain helped a lot!

The baseball pendant is way older than 1973. Looks 40ish to me. When you hunt in (Iron mask), are you using ferrous sounds? I like to sweep an area first with (conductive) sounds, then go over it again at -16 in (ferrous).

That's how I found the silver quarter and war nickel last time - in (ferrous) mode the silver jumps right out! :D

I'm excited as we're in for some rain Wednesday and Thursday!!!

Congratulations on those deep iffy treasures!

Ridley

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
Congrats on all the finds. That Merc really shines! Same year I dug last Sat.
Nice Buffalo too. Very readable date on it. Hard to find them like that.
Looking forward to some rain down this way soon, so Ridley and I can re-hit a lot of spots.
Great job,
MM (Dug) ;D

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:o Nice finds Bob. I like the baseball medal best of all, too. I found one just like your's out in California about 10 years ago, mine has the name of a high school on it though.
HH and keep digging those deep iffy siginals

Desertfox

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
willie d said:

Oh, yeah I made a little goof. The Merc is a 1936 not 1937. :P

Bob
I was so mesmerized by the merc, I didn't even notice :D

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver and nice finds! I like that baseball pendant. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Thanks all.

Ridley said:
That's great for hunted out parks, Bob! I'll bet that rain helped a lot!

The baseball pendant is way older than 1973. Looks 40ish to me. When you hunt in (Iron mask), are you using ferrous sounds? I like to sweep an area first with (conductive) sounds, then go over it again at -16 in (ferrous).

That's how I found the silver quarter and war nickel last time - in (ferrous) mode the silver jumps right out! :D

I'm excited as we're in for some rain Wednesday and Thursday!!!

Congratulations on those deep iffy treasures!

Ridley

Dave,
Ferrous sounds are the only way to go. When I had my Quattro I use to hunt exclusively in conductive tone. Now it's exclusively ferrous. Sometimes when I'm trying to cherry pick I go to conductive but usually end up back to ferrous after about 20 minutes.

Hope you get that rain. The rain makes a big difference. Only drawback is that it brings lots of very hungry mosquitoes! :P

Bob

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds Mirage,

I've done the same on occasion. Go to good sites and just dig funny signals. It pays off at times to. I don't think nowadays we can expect to go out and come home with 10 or 20 pieces of silver everytime we go out.

It's a few here and there. But they add up over the yr. There still are some hidden untouched sites out there. But they don't come frequently.

Keep up the searches

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread