Located my first cache! Now how to extract it?

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend is house sitting a mutual friend's house. As is customary i began lightly snooping, telling him " I bet theres something hidden in this 1930s house." Within five minutes I honed in on a section of wall with the old telephone stand. There are four vertical slots for letters under it and peering in the slots I was greeted by the sight of some silver coins and cents. At least one cent looks steel and that would make sense for when they would have been deposited. I am running into the same problem the original depositor most likely had. How to remove the coins without damaging the wall? I tried double sided tape on a piece of wire but the coins are too dusty. I was thinking gum may work but it'd have to be super sticky. Otherwise its finetool from one slot to the other and touch up with wood glue and paint. The value of the cache is small, maybe $10 in silver. I'll keep you posted but I am tickled I was able to put my skills to good use. Hoping some gum will get me one or two coins but i think cutting would be inevitable. I may just approach our friend after she returns and say I'll get it back just the way it looks now if I can get in there. Or I could remove them in sneakrecy...

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Magnet on the steel penny...

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
use CA glue(superglue) then you can clean and release it with acetone. tiny amount of glue should do. maybe the metal strip from a windshield washer blade bent just right will do the trick for the tool.

Last edited:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
post a picture already of the layout ? then you can show before and after. inquiring minds want to know ?....................................................oops?

Last edited:

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
post a picture already of the layout ? then you can show before and after. inquiring minds want to know ? i only have so much imagination left ?

Last edited:

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Within five minutes I honed in on a section of wall with the old telephone stand. There are four vertical slots for letters under it and peering in the slots I was greeted by the sight of some silver coins and cents. At least one cent looks steel and that would make sense for when they would have been deposited. I am running into the same problem the original depositor most likely had. How to remove the coins without damaging the wall?

Well, being that "Tommybuckets" is one hell of a mob name, I think you should just make the telephone stand an offer it can't refuse...:laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A tin "envelope" piece. (An inch or so wide top or bottom section of a standard paper one for a pattern). Or a file type strength envelope piece..
"Envelop " each coin in slot with the partially opened envelope piece , and draw towards you. Add a wedge to hold it opened if needed due to using a paper one.

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a powerful shop vac with a narrow attachment

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of over thinking here; just need anything you can get your hands on to destroy what stands between you taking your friends oddly hidden coin collection. I mean if we are talking about steeling, then why not add vandalism to it as well.

Dont forget to kick the cat and key the car on your way out. You have to make that real clear so that there is no mistaking your intentions and actions towards your friend and his property.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) Go to the hardware store. Get one of these:

https://trailermarketing.com/product/spring-clamp-25-amp-pk-2/

2) Straighten the clamp ends flat and secure some tweezer-like, thin, flat metal pieces of the required length to both clamp ends.

3) Test gripping ability and capability of prototype on some common coins. Double-sided tape may be required on tips of metal.

4) Retrieve coins.

5) Post photos.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of over thinking here; just need anything you can get your hands on to destroy what stands between you taking your friends oddly hidden coin collection. I mean if we are talking about steeling, then why not add vandalism to it as well.

Dont forget to kick the cat and key the car on your way out. You have to make that real clear so that there is no mistaking your intentions and actions towards your friend and his property.

I missed that whole “sneakrecy” bit until after I had posted. I wouldn’t have assisted if I knew that I could be an accomplice. Guess I’ll have to read more closely from now on...

Tommybuckets,

Don’t kick the cat. I could never condone animal abuse. Just get the permission...

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
F*** it, get the sawsall and open that wall up, may I suggest a fine cup of gin first to hone the senses.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Oddjob, ( except the cat part ). It is one thing to discover your "house sitter" snooping through your stuff and quite another to learn that "a friend of the house sitter is snooping" through your house. If you would not search his property without first getting permission, then how can you search his house without permission ? If it was my house, that house sitter would be out of a job and possible legal actions taken. Friends do not do this to friends.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Oddjob, ( except the cat part ). It is one thing to discover your "house sitter" snooping through your stuff and quite another to learn that "a friend of the house sitter is snooping" through your house. If you would not search his property without first getting permission, then how can you search his house without permission ? If it was my house, that house sitter would be out of a job and possible legal actions taken. Friends do not do this to friends.

Exactly!!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im glad I don't have friends like that Id have nothing left

Top Member Reactions