Locked up in sulfides

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
I have seen this in print on a few occasions - The gold is locked up the sulfides. It has got me wondering (more for my own knowledge than actually having sulfide ore to play with) If you take an ore who's gold content is within the sulfides and crush it to powder can the gold then be panned out like a quartz rock with small native gold in it, or is it a situation where it must be done via some form of chemical or smelting process?

-Lance

3xflyfisher

Nov 1, 2005
In my RV, where ever it may stop!
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darshevo,
In rare cases the gold present in sulfide ores can be separated by crushing and then utilizing some form of gravity separation (panning, wilfley table etc.). Recovery is typically not that good as most gold that occurs in sulphide ore tend to be tied up at the molecular level. Mostly however, sulphide ores require a form of oxidation to "liberate" the gold by altering the sulphide minerals to an oxide and then on to leaching using cyanide. Several forms of oxidation most commonly used are pressure oxidation (autoclave-basically a pressure cooker for a slurry), chlorination (bubbling Cl gas through a slurry of ground ore), bio-oxidation(certain bacteria thrive on sulphide minerals). Each of these processes produce a by-product of sulphuric acid that must be neutralized prior to moving on to the cyanide leach stage. Direct smelting is possible as well if the grade of the ore justifies the expense.
Regards,
3xflyfisher

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Darshevo said:
I have seen this in print on a few occasions - The gold is locked up the sulfides. It has got me wondering (more for my own knowledge than actually having sulfide ore to play with) If you take an ore who's gold content is within the sulfides and crush it to powder can the gold then be panned out like a quartz rock with small native gold in it, or is it a situation where it must be done via some form of chemical or smelting process?

-Lance

Very good question..

Here's what I know( I'm a noob) :

Sulfide ores can be simply eliminated by heating( which apparently breaks the sulfide bonds and releases the gold) Or maybe it is by the salt and vinegar soluton, which disolves the sulfides.. Either method is acceptable but as always NEVER breath the fumes of a fire containing ore.. Stay away, perhaps even go inside and wait for a wind to blow to wash away the fumes... But just don't be startin no fires during a city wide burn ban or around easily ignitable brush....

Ride on :headbang:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FiresEye said:
Darshevo said:

-Lance

Very good question..

Sulfide ores can be simply eliminated by heating( which apparently breaks the sulfide bonds and releases the gold) Or maybe it is by the salt and vinegar soluton, which disolves the sulfides.. Either method is acceptable but as always NEVER breath the fumes of a fire containing ore.. Stay away, perhaps even go inside and wait for a wind to blow to wash away the fumes... But just don't be startin no fires during a city wide burn ban or around easily ignitable brush....

I would suggest not to heat Sulfides if you do not know what your dealing with!
For example Pyrite can react with the air creating sulphuric acid, especially if moist.

As such I'd suggest to better get an assay done.
Also interesting to this topic is:
http://www.mine-engineer.com/mining/minproc/gold-in-pyrite.htm

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Eu_citzen said:
FiresEye said:
Darshevo said:

-Lance

Very good question..

I would suggest not to heat Sulfides if you do not know what your dealing with!
For example Pyrite can react with the air creating sulphuric acid, especially if moist.

As such I'd suggest to better get an assay done.
Also interesting to this topic is:
http://www.mine-engineer.com/mining/minproc/gold-in-pyrite.htm

Yeah lol, that's why I mentioned to be careful when doing this :) Toxic fumes will be produced when heating almost any concentrated river sands... That stuff is full of not only mercury, sulfides, but other toxins.. Nasty stuff when burned. '
The romans sentanced to the refinery mines in ancient Rome had a 1 year death sentan ce ahead of them from the mercury fumes... The guys mining the cinnabar normally lived around 3 or 4 years... ROmans were so Effin brutal, especially when they crucified over 2000 bodies and hung them on the roadside in the way to a rebellous city.. Opps Im getting off topic.../ CHeers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread