Logging finds...rusty iron

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I haven't posted my finds for more then a year for the simple fact that very few peoples are interested in rusty iron. Everyone would much rather view coins and jewelry. With all the new members on here, there may be more interested in iron. What the heck, BuckleBoy mentioned my name recently in another thread. He's a big fan of anyone posting iron. I'll give it another try. I was out on Sunday and brought home a nice assortment of iron.
1. 21 cribbing spikes. These have never been used and were laying in a pile along a old logging RR grade. The ones I usually find have been used and are bent from being pulled from the rails
2. another log chain. very common find.
3. two felling wedges, from the same hole.
4. A well used broad axe. The back was pounded on and the hole where the handle was is deformed.
5 A log mark with L25 as the brand.

Attachments

• DSCF2496.JPG
    DSCF2496.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCF2497.JPG
    DSCF2497.JPG
    301 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF2498.JPG
    DSCF2498.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCF2499.JPG
    DSCF2499.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF2502.JPG
    DSCF2502.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 1

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I LOVE IRON!! I have yet to find a log-dog chain, but it is on my list! Nice display of goodies..THANKS FOR POSTING!

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
i keep my rusty iron,i like finding hand forged items and sq nails.
i have a bunch of sites that have never bin detected the iron helps prove it.
plus i like junk.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice digs! Nothing wrong with iron. It's not easy to find real old iron relics for the obvious reasons. That makes them pretty cool in my book when you do find a nice one. The only thing I don't like is lugging them around all day. I found 2 axe heads and a heavy maul head at a site one morning. I swear each one of them weighed a hundred pounds by the end of the day. Still have them though.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering where you went, sweet finds and keep it up!

HH
-GC

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with digging iron.I enjoy finding things like that. Nice

leaker

Nov 8, 2012
Jefferson city mo
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love broad axes. I have six in great shape two like the one you posted. Great finds my friend. Don't drink and drive you might spill your drink

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been wondering where ya been!!!I love iron.....I love it so much my wife wont let me bring home anymore axe's,or picks........I have to sneak em in now!I am up to over 25 1850's- ax heads now,and really dont know what to do with em all?I did dig a beutiful log dog chain the other day,but the land owner wanted it

OP
OP
lumbercamp

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I know you're one of the members of Tnet, kuger, who appreciates iron. Last year from 12-11-11 to 6-3-12, I hauled out 660 lbs of iron. I had 2 battery chargers going from April to the end of Oct, doing electrolysis and still didn't get everything cleaned up. It's no fun working in electrolysis water with ice on top as happens in Oct. Too bad you couldn't keep the log chain, they are always a great find.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lumbercamp,

Your home "logging museum" is quite honestly one of the most spectacular things I've seen photos of.

These are some great finds. Quick question, is the broad axe you posted the same style of axe that they call a "New Orleans Style" axe? I have a resource somewhere that lists those, but have had difficulty figuring out what the difference is. I found a very beaten up small sized one of those here. Got 6 axe heads in the cue for apple cider vinegar this winter.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that here the ax heads the majority of the time are hammer mashed like you describe,but our guys were busting rock cracks with these!I need to post some pictures....these ax heads are crazy heavy,and have a small for the weight,eye?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread