Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Today was my last day off from work of the week, so I had to get out for a short hunt. I decided to go check a couple places I have had my eye on for a few months but no one was home again. I stopped at an old farm house Cjon and I stopped at before, but Chris was chased away by a dog, lol. Today the dog ( plural as I soon learned ) was inside, and the elderly owner gave me permission to hunt the bean fields that had been cut. 2 hours in the chilly wind, and part of one field later, all I had was 1 Merc and an old musket ball. The owner asked to see anything I found, so I went back and he insisted I come in out of the wind. We talked for 15 or 20 minutes and he gave me some tips as to where an old log cabin was on the property as well as an old house long torn down and a little country school that used to be just down the road. Turned out to be a good day with the tips and new permission. I gave him the old round ball since he had never seen one and really liked it. The one in the "cleaned" pic is a pistol ball found yesterday at another site. Thanks for looking.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415392485.868507.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415392543.018682.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415392588.591347.jpg

Upvote 15

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job OD. Nice little Merc. Perhaps these new leads will turn out to be good. Be careful about telling CJON, he is a silver vacuum! GL&HH.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job OD. Nice little Merc. Perhaps these new leads will turn out to be good. Be careful about telling CJON, he is a silver vacuum! GL&HH.
Thanks Tom. This is part of a 1700's farm that is now 2 farms. Chris and I hunted the yard of the house across the road and some nice coins and buttons were found. That part is still in corn, so we have those fields to do as well. This part that I hunted today was all in beans and have been cut. There is way more land than he and I can hunt this year!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Tom. This is part of a 1700's farm that is now 2 farms. Chris and I hunted the yard of the house across the road and some nice coins and buttons were found. That part is still in corn, so we have those fields to do as well. This part that I hunted today was all in beans and have been cut. There is way more land than he and I can hunt this year!

Please heed the warning... watch out for Chris! He is dangerous when it comes to the silvers! I saw what he did to you earlier in the week.
Be aware and beware!

I am heading out for the weekend, got a couple of places lined up. Last weekend everyone (all 7 of them) got silver coins... I was the only one that didn't, and it sucked! Hopefully my luck will be better this weekend. GL&HH.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck this weekend. Will this be another group hunt? Hope you get a pouch full of old coppers, silvers and relics!

digndeep

Jul 28, 2014
cambridge,md
Detector(s) used
Xp ORX, whites v3, whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice merc OD,sounds like you gained some good info from the land owner also..that may turn into more finds.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck this weekend. Will this be another group hunt? Hope you get a pouch full of old coppers, silvers and relics!

The group hunt spot is a big fiasco... somehow a bunch of people heard about it, last weekend 6 people showed up, I suspect 20 will show up this weekend, which will cause the deal to implode upon us all. Loose lips sink ships... and this ship is listing 30 degrees to the port side already. We shall see what happens.

I have a couple of permissions lined up to fall back on.
Thanks OD. Have a nice weekend!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lol dave beware of me!!! I know right where this spot is, I'm gonna hit it while you sleep, I'll bring my hoover vacuum aka my atpro lol, jk, nice job securing permission, nice first finds from this promising place!!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've already seen you're scared of this guy's dogs, so I'll just tell him have them guard it, lol. This fellow told me the log cabin was where I was hunting today, Chris....not across the road at the cow pin farm. There was also an old house across the road from the IH garden and an old factory torn down around 1900 just behind the property.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've already seen you're scared of this guy's dogs, so I'll just tell him have them guard it, lol. This fellow told me the log cabin was where I was hunting today, Chris....not across the road at the cow pin farm. There was also an old house across the road from the IH garden and an old factory torn down around 1900 just behind the property.
Nice, sounds like a better place then we thought

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to catch a silver. Makes any kind of day better.

Let alone all that info it appears you got!

Nice!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice to catch a silver. Makes any kind of day better.

Let alone all that info it appears you got!

Nice!
This guy was really into history and didn't mind sharing what he could. He told me his great grandfather ( or great great ) was at Gettysburg and spent time at Andersonville. He showed me a neat old pic of his relatives and the house that stood where the present one now does. He seemed genuinely interested in helping me find spots on his property.
Don't worry OD. You'll dig up his buddies as well. HH, Q.
Thanks Mr. Q. I hope his buddies are sitting down though!
nice merc OD,sounds like you gained some good info from the land owner also..that may turn into more finds.

DnD, thanks! I consider the time I spent talking to him an investment and believe I have a better understanding of where to look on his property now! Good luck to you.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal Dave, Tom is a funny guy, he cracks me up with the NC competition going on down there.
Funny how those dogs only go after some people and not others?

Sweet looking Merc!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh trust me Brad....the dogs did their share of barking at me too. I just had the owner there with me to show them I was OK. I have had boxers for several years now and am used to dog's behavior. These were all Border Collies and just very vocal, lol.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Iโ€™ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, Whiteโ€™s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, Whiteโ€™s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found quit a few, but there is nothing like finding a merc to make it a great day. I really adore them.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bud lots of people out there found nothing but junk today. I'll take silver any day

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found quit a few, but there is nothing like finding a merc to make it a great day. I really adore them.
Thank you, sir! I really like them too, but I had my mind made up that there were some old coppers hiding where I looked today. I have just looked at these fields since I first saw them and wondered what they were hiding. Hopefully next week I can spend some time and find out.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey bud lots of people out there found nothing but junk today. I'll take silver any day

You are right Abe. Knowing the age of the property just convinced me I'd find something old, lol. The musketball was good to find. They are still a favorite of mine. The owner seemed really grateful for it and wondered out loud how it came to be there.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right Abe. Knowing the age of the property just convinced me I'd find something old, lol. The musketball was good to find. They are still a favorite of mine. The owner seemed really grateful for it and wondered out loud how it came to be there.
Funny I just threw a bunch of my round alls in a container a couple days ago. Like 52 of em if I remember right. I've hunted a couple of very old fort sites and found a bunch

image-2137596414.jpg

I used to love finding them. Now I'm mad when I get that great signal and it's another round ball lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread