Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two Sterling silver spoons, both with hand etchings that read "El Dorado Kans.". The legendary city is apparently real... and located somewhere in Kansas. :D Dug from same park that produced my Victorian silver rattle and countless turn of the century coins! Patent dates on the spoons read 1899 and 1910 respectively. One also bears a "T" stamped on the back which appears to be the mark of whoever did the etching work.

IMG_20170103_094731855.jpg IMG_20170103_094754419.jpg
IMG_20170103_094846243.jpg IMG_20170103_094857599.jpg
IMG_20170103_094836502.jpg

Upvote 28
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two very interesting spoon finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are on a roll U-M. :occasion14: Those are 2 great finds. The ones I've dug around here were thrown out do to damage, very seldom do I dig one in pristine condition like yours.

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are on a roll U-M. :occasion14: Those are 2 great finds. The ones I've dug around here were thrown out do to damage, very seldom do I dig one in pristine condition like yours.

I've found spoons in perfect condition several times in the field, was a bit disappointed that these two were a bit damaged but at least they were not too badly mangled. The stems were nearly perfect fresh out of the ground unfortunately my favorite parts of the spoons are the end with the engravings on them and these look like they've been stepped on or crushed by something. Still happy with this find though. Also got about $4 in clad and other smaller diggings. Everyday is an adventure! :headbang:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesomely great finds, I found a silver spoon once, for sure one of my all time favorites. Yours are way better than mine, old silversmiths work right there at it's finest.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two Sweet spoons, Congrats!! The etching on the spoon face set it aside from any spoons I've ever found. Awesome looking!!
They might come out of the ground bent and twisted but, they always come out clean and no doubt as to what you have. I love finding silver flatware.

OldWest

Aug 23, 2014
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spoon find

This is my town. I've lived here since 1963. I still have friends from kindergarten. Those spoons a great find. We have a small museum with the town history in pictures and artifacts. The city was quite active in those days and there was a lot of traffic. Farmers coming to market, harvest season, you name it. Actually there was a longtime jewelry store here whose name started with a T.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my town. I've lived here since 1963. I still have friends from kindergarten. Those spoons a great find. We have a small museum with the town history in pictures and artifacts. The city was quite active in those days and there was a lot of traffic. Farmers coming to market, harvest season, you name it. Actually there was a longtime jewelry store here whose name started with a T.

Interesting! Never knew until I found these spoons that there was even an actual place called El Dorado other than the El Dorado of legend. :thumbsup:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pair of spoons! :icon_thumleft: You have to wonder if they weren't left behind at the park after some long ago picnic.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn good spot underminer !!! Keep digging. Nice spoons.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Bet they haven't been that clean in 100 years.

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread