🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Long shot ID of confederate button?

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Went back to a site that I have not hit in years trying out the XP. We pulled 3 civil war buttons, all block I ones, Just found this one but it is only to top piece of the button. I can see some stuff on it but cant quite make it out. For some reason the place is loaded with harmonica reeds. Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• IMG_3853.JPG
    IMG_3853.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3854.JPG
    IMG_3854.JPG
    607 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_3856.JPG
    IMG_3856.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 64

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DCMatt is (as usual) smart to ask for a (well-focused and closeup) photo of the "back side" of your unidentified button's front. Generally, but of course not always, the emblem is more clearly visible when viewed from the button-front's inner side.

While we wait for that new photo:
Based on what I can (barely) make out on your very-encrusted button's front, I seem to see an (opened) umbrella shape. That suggests your button is a South Carolina State State Seal state Militia uniform button. A "clean" one is shown in the photo below.
(Note, some versions lack the initials SC alongside the Palmetto tree's trunk.)

Attachments

• button_SC-vest_TN_photobyFleurdelis_Button005.jpg
    button_SC-vest_TN_photobyFleurdelis_Button005.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Upvote 5
OP
OP
Smilodon

Smilodon

Apr 4, 2011
Charleston sc
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
DCMatt is (as usual) smart to ask for a (well-focused and closeup) photo of the "back side" of your unidentified button's front. Generally, but of course not always, the emblem is more clearly visible when viewed from the button-front's inner side.

While we wait for that new photo:
Based on what I can (barely) make out on your very-encrusted button's front, I seem to see an (opened) umbrella shape. That suggests your button is a South Carolina State State Seal state Militia uniform button. A "clean" one is shown in the photo below.
(Note, some versions lack the initials SC alongside the Palmetto tree's trunk.)
Hello, Just noticed your post, thank you. I will attach another photo, it seems to have letters on it.

Attachments

• IMG_3872.JPG
    IMG_3872.JPG
    371.6 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 2

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like 'SOHO' in the middle. B. C(?) I(?) Co at the top? It's an odd looking back mark...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread