Long shot....

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I was dumping coins today at the bank and found a round metal disc I'm assuming is a coin. It's toasted. It's exactly the same diameter as a modern dime, has discernable features due to the toastiness weighs 1.66 g. I'm guessing that it's silver but I really could be wrong. If I wanted to attempt to ID the coin, what are the logical next steps?

Thanks.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was dumping coins today at the bank and found a round metal disc I'm assuming is a coin. It's toasted. It's exactly the same diameter as a modern dime, has discernable features due to the toastiness weighs 1.66 g. I'm guessing that it's silver but I really could be wrong. If I wanted to attempt to ID the coin, what are the logical next steps?

Thanks.
If there are no features left to I.D. it, do an acid test to find out what metal you have. If it's totally toasted, you're not going to hurt it's "value".

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
If there are no features left to I.D. it, do an acid test to find out what metal you have. If it's totally toasted, you're not going to hurt it's "value".

Good idea. I also just noticed that a 3 cent nickel is also 17.9 mm but is lighter at ~1.9g. Will an acid test tell if it's nickel or silver?

Thanks.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea. I also just noticed that a 3 cent nickel is also 17.9 mm but is lighter at ~1.9g. Will an acid test tell if it's nickel or silver?

Thanks.

Yeah standard silver acid test will. 90% silver will turn red. 40% silver will turn redish brown. I cant recall if nickel turns yellow, or perhaps blue? No matter, nickel will not be red.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread