tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After my night in Elko I head to our shop in Carlin Nevada where no one works for us anymore. I had to gather a bunch of stuff there to take to the town of Yerington, Nevada the next day. I didn't take any pictures last Tuesday on my way out and made as far as Fallon, Nevada for the night. I got up early from Fallon which is the land of fighter planes and had an awesome sunrise to start the trip to Yerington. The route to Yerington takes me across the Carson River Valley and by an old fort called Ft. Churchhill that was there to protect the overland route of the pioneers heading to California. The old restored building is called Buckland's Station, built in the 1850s I believe and was a way stop for the pioneers to resupply. These days we have the large truck stops and travel centers, such as the Pilots, Flying J and Travel America's to stop and gather any needs we might have on the trail. The Carson river out here can be recognized by the strip of cottonwoods running through this barren desert. I'm sure the old pioneers knew well you don't want to wander off on any short cuts away from the only source of water out in this God forsaken country.

Attachments

• trip 091218 1.jpg
    trip 091218 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • trip 091218 2.jpg
    trip 091218 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
  • trip 091218 3.jpg
    trip 091218 3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 65
  • trip 091218 4.jpg
    trip 091218 4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 64
  • trip 091218 5.jpg
    trip 091218 5.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 63

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a shame the old fort is in ruins. It would be cool if it got restored. I would like to travel across the country visiting these houses and stations that people stopped at long ago. Thanks for the pics! :thumbsup:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Like the waystop and the setting sun. Thanks for the share..

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a shame the old fort is in ruins. It would be cool if it got restored. I would like to travel across the country visiting these houses and stations that people stopped at long ago. Thanks for the pics! :thumbsup:
It is an interesting route and I've taken portions of it along our modern highways all the way from Nebraska to California. Being the first Transcontinental Railroad was built more to the South of the original overland trail so much of it pretty much traverse's a land that time has forgotten, which today is undeveloped and left unerased by modern development. Some places are deteriorating away or completely gone now and other places such as Fort Laramie Wyoming have been restored to some of their former glory.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you so much for taking us along!:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread