2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A bunch of us got together after a club meeting and decided a day trip to the Bear River was the winter cure. We agreed to the coming Saturday and knowing the Bear like I do I figure a new box was in order
I was rummaging through all the pack rat stuff and came up with this new long tom; the raised expanded metal was the only purchase at 6 bucks, scrap. The hardest part to building this box was where to place the low profile rubber mat and that was determined when I found the carpet to fit the box without cutting it to size, Woo Hoo it was meant to be. The break alum was salvaged from a construction job many years ago.
couple of club members were already there when Dave and I arrived, more members showed up as I was getting my stuff together and strapping it to the backpack, everybody that showed up all had that same look, you know that grin when were in God’s country
well with GMT in hand I was out to look for the hotspots and found one right next to the river with a good reading, so Dave and I set up and began shoveling and classifying using a number 8
After using this box on the Bear it most definitely passed muster, it worked much better than I expected.
Enjoy the pics

Attachments

• IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,274
  • IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_0423.JPG
    IMG_0423.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 698
  • Image14.jpg
    Image14.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 526
  • Image12.jpg
    Image12.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 455
  • Image11.jpg
    Image11.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 480
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 486
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 561
  • Image7.jpg
    Image7.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 621

Mint_2k

Jan 22, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
:o

Wow, that sluice is long. I wish I could use something like that, but our space is limited with a Toyota matrix & a cargo carrier. I'm with forhorsmn - Texas is good for a lot of things, but not the best for sluicing. Awesome pics too, BTW. All that shiny on the mat.....

-sob-
-sob-

:BangHead:

Might have order a round of Paydirt to slow the fever a bit.......

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Great pictures and that is nice color man! Its even all in the expanded too. Just goes to show how good even a throw together sluice can work with the right operator.

forhorsmn

Feb 7, 2012
Gainesville, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of making something like this to take down to one of the local creeks for a little fun. What do you use to hold the ribbed mat down :icon_scratch:? I would think that the water flow would make to mat come up in the front.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what we like to see the mat look like!!!I have always wanted to,and will someday,do that on a large scale,.....a bigger version of that :thumbsup:

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
:icon_thumleft:

Nice looking box!! Looks like its doing a fine job with the fines. :hello:

Thanks for posting the pics, always good to see some color. Thanks

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey Everybody Thanks
this box worked so well, that i am building another one. the pics are from the end of the day we forgot the camera to show the first clean out and it was even better then these pics, a lot of people on the river heard of the longtom and came over to have a look
I think what made it work so good was the long shoot, classification and the little lip thats at the front of the box
the box dims are 68 X 10 1/2 X 2

forhorsman, on this box i glued the matting using dow corning 999 silicone its fast drying, maybe a couple of metal strips one on the front and back with Lefties i mean wingnuts, just a thought

Don't forget to support those that support us WMA, PLP, local chapters and your reps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread