HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey you all... it's kinda been awhile since i've been here... Started a new sales job over a year ago after selling and building in-ground swimming pools for years finally decided to try something different and it has just been keeping me swamped and it seems i barely have time for anything any-more.. Though i'm starting to get more days off now and getting out more doing some digging....

Was out in Virginia this morning doing some digging in an area that is well known for a SC camp and also a few other Confederate camps and have been in and out of these camps for many of years without much success at all - you can spend months digging in these camps and not even find a confederate button or anything, most of the camps are 90% dug out, the only thing that keeps me coming back to this area is when I was 16 years old I dug a SC breast plate in this SC camp (thats another story in itself) so, sometimes i drive down this road where the camp is when i go through hoping to drive by and see some logging or a lot being cleared...

WELL........ after many of years of driving through and just checking to see if they are ever going to do anything like log the area or clear a lot out for a house, I drive by Sunday and saw right smack near where the camp is they clearing a lot for a house.... :hello2: all I could think about Monday at work was digging, digging, digging... So, come Tuesday i drive out there and hit the lot and of course within the first 45 minutes it is nothing but modern junk, shotgun shells... Then i head toward the last section of the lot they cleared which is basically the boarder line of the SC camp and dug this strange looking, like a patriot button?? (posted it in What Is It section) Then I noticed a big oak they took down (why in the world would they take down this big oak anyway? damn thing looked like it was 100 years old, smh.. But hey, my benefit) and the big hole left over from where the oak use to be and i get a signal... Thinking to my-self... Odd that tree must have been there many many of years, it is either something the excavation company left in there or if not it is got to be old..whatever it is... and then out pops this button and I knew instantly it was not going to be a eagle button or a union button.. I knew deep down even before looking at it that it was a confederate button with some of the cloth still attached to it... So, here it is... SC Button haven't cleaned it up yet and even though i for sure know how to clean buttons i'm afraid to even touch it.. But i will post a clean up of it after i get the urge to clean it.

Attachments

• IMG_1385(1).JPG
    IMG_1385(1).JPG
    40 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1384(2).JPG
    IMG_1384(2).JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1384(1).JPG
    IMG_1384(1).JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    287 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 20

Palmetto

Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations-Nothing like seeing that tree on the face of a button. I know it is tempting to clean that bad boy but with that cloth still on it, I think I would leave it just like it is!

Russ

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome button! Love diggin SC buttons and to find one with the cloth still attached is very very cool. Big congrats!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SHOWS YOU THEY ARE STILL OUT THERE WAITING FOR DAYLIGHT!!!....GREAT FIND!!!! HOPE YOU CONTINUE WITH YOUR GOOD HUNTING!!!!

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome that the cloth is still attached! Great find!

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh man, WHAT a score! I have only seen ONE other button with that much cloth, and it was just an eagle A. Man, that find oughta make your YEAR! jealous as heck. beautiful man. Post again when cleaned, and could we see that SC plate???!

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats and good job.just dont clean it.leave the cloth on.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a button :occasion14:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey you all... it's kinda been awhile since i've been here... Started a new sales job over a year ago after selling and building in-ground swimming pools for years finally decided to try something different and it has just been keeping me swamped and it seems i barely have time for anything any-more.. Though i'm starting to get more days off now and getting out more doing some digging....

Was out in Virginia this morning doing some digging in an area that is well known for a SC camp and also a few other Confederate camps and have been in and out of these camps for many of years without much success at all - you can spend months digging in these camps and not even find a confederate button or anything, most of the camps are 90% dug out, the only thing that keeps me coming back to this area is when I was 16 years old I dug a SC breast plate in this SC camp (thats another story in itself) so, sometimes i drive down this road where the camp is when i go through hoping to drive by and see some logging or a lot being cleared...

WELL........ after many of years of driving through and just checking to see if they are ever going to do anything like log the area or clear a lot out for a house, I drive by Sunday and saw right smack near where the camp is they clearing a lot for a house.... :hello2: all I could think about Monday at work was digging, digging, digging... So, come Tuesday i drive out there and hit the lot and of course within the first 45 minutes it is nothing but modern junk, shotgun shells... Then i head toward the last section of the lot they cleared which is basically the boarder line of the SC camp and dug this strange looking, like a patriot button?? (posted it in What Is It section) Then I noticed a big oak they took down (why in the world would they take down this big oak anyway? damn thing looked like it was 100 years old, smh.. But hey, my benefit) and the big hole left over from where the oak use to be and i get a signal... Thinking to my-self... Odd that tree must have been there many many of years, it is either something the excavation company left in there or if not it is got to be old..whatever it is... and then out pops this button and I knew instantly it was not going to be a eagle button or a union button.. I knew deep down even before looking at it that it was a confederate button with some of the cloth still attached to it... So, here it is... SC Button haven't cleaned it up yet and even though i for sure know how to clean buttons i'm afraid to even touch it.. But i will post a clean up of it after i get the urge to clean it.

That's a Beautiful Picture Indeed.
Also in Great Condition & With Cloth.

Still looking for my 1st SC (Or any Confederate State Button), but a South Carolina is 1 of my top 5,Buttons to Dig before the , G.I.S.."Gig in the Sky".

Congratz
Davers

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations-Nothing like seeing that tree on the face of a button. I know it is tempting to clean that bad boy but with that cloth still on it, I think I would leave it just like it is!

Russ

Thanks Russ .. Nothing like digging a button from your land down under there in SC !!! Happy hunting mate.

OP
OP
HutSiteDigger

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, WHAT a score! I have only seen ONE other button with that much cloth, and it was just an eagle A. Man, that find oughta make your YEAR! jealous as heck. beautiful man. Post again when cleaned, and could we see that SC plate???!

Hey there Mr. Parsons - Thanks awhole bunch man.. I will certainly let you see my SC Plate. Hey - I was down your way the other day but wasn't out digging.. Glad the storm didn't affect you like it did Tappahannock and Richmond county.. Hope all is well and I think there is a big find out there where you hunt often, have you found it yet ;) ? Good hearing from you mate.

Last edited:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one pretty S.C.,and still has some cloth.Very nice H.S.D

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible HutSiteDigger :thumbsup: I bet that tree sheltered this button from rain and moisture and preserved it so well. The fabric is just awesome. Certainly some light dry toothpicking on the face wouldn't hurt the fabric. Killer find man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread