Look at me! I'm new here.

InkingHubris

Feb 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have been excited about treasure hunting since I was old enough to know what treasure is. I admit my own personal expeditions have been small fruitless and very limited to say the least. I have never owned a metal detector, even though I asked for one every Christmas since I was 7 years old. 35+ years later, life laughs at me for trying.

I have spent over a decade writing, researching and breaking codes. It's what I do mainly. I make a living as a writer and I dabble in mythical treasure hunts (albeit usually from the computer). I am more interested in legends than actual treasures as I find the stories enthralling.

I tend to play devils advocate until I can no longer deny it and then I put effort into locating said treasure. To date, I have solved many cryptic clues that have lead to treasure and have not once found it for myself. Oh well, most of the fun is in the journey, right?

Anyway, perhaps one day I will get a detector and go out looking for myself.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum from White Plains, NY! Growing up in the desert southwest of Arizona, I read about medieval times in England and Scotland, and wondered about lost treasures there. I grew up gold prospecting in the mountains with my Dad, but always pictured myself as a Knight, searching for long lost gold in the Scottish Highlands, or the mountain streams of Wales. :occasion14:

OP
OP
InkingHubris

InkingHubris

Feb 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've only been in England for about 7 months. I will be returning to the US shortly. Then back again. :)

OP
OP
InkingHubris

InkingHubris

Feb 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks. Interesting place. I'm having a look around.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet from Nick in CT! :hello:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard!

OP
OP
InkingHubris

InkingHubris

Feb 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks guys, I am learning a lot looking around here.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts - USA! GL & HH

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. Interesting story. What kind of codes have you cracked that have led to treasure, and why are you not the one to find it?

OP
OP
InkingHubris

InkingHubris

Feb 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome. Interesting story. What kind of codes have you cracked that have led to treasure, and why are you not the one to find it?

It is quite an interesting story. Started in the military where I was not a code breaker. I was a radio operator. I found codes and broke them in my spare time (enemy and ally communications mostly). After I was a civilian again I continued to find codes to crack, which led to puzzles and websites about them (I won't name any for reasons of competition, ha!) I then created my own which quickly became the largest and most popular puzzle site online, in it's heyday.

My main interest is in writing and I have travelled that road more than any other, but writing doesn't pay the bills for a long while, so I spent my time in surveillance and learning all I could. Through research and odd jobs and my history of code breaking I would find various puzzles (such as Fenn's poem, Kryptos, the Beale Papers, etc) and work on them. I didn't care about the treasure so much as I couldn't physically get to it and felt that anyone I shared the solve with would then go get it and say it wasn't there and then I would be stuck on the puzzle again.

I never made public anything that I have solved that leads to monumental riches, but smaller ones, personal ones, contest ones, etc etc I would solve and then find a member of that search that I thought was deserving and send them the solve and method. On more than one occasion the person I did this for ended up finding the loot, solving the game or whatever it happened to be.

Now as I get older I have more time and more resources since I don't technically have to "work" and have decided that along with my writing I would get back into the actual hunt of physical things. Although I still get more joy from solving the puzzle than actually looking for it. I want to get a metal detector and hit the beaches, just to have something to do while I tan. (If that's possible on the beaches of England)

To shorten the answer to your question though, nothing serious like the lost crown jewels or anything of that nature, just small caches or unsolved local legends. I think, monetarily, the largest I have ever solved that was verified was about $3000 USD.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing that, IH. A code breaker I am not, but I do thoroughly enjoying learning about Spanish and KGC signs and symbols, and, who knows, I could get lucky someday. :) Even if I don't find anything of great value it is still a ton of fun, and I am outside in the fresh air exploring, expanding my horizons, and letting the problems of my life go by the wayside, and THAT ALONE is a cache! LOL.

OP
OP
InkingHubris

InkingHubris

Feb 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thrill of the hunt, as they say. The ending is just a bonus.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the party. Sounds like a blast doing what you do. In writing its getting the reader to feel they are part of the story and right there. Getting a metal detector is a good idea but not a necessity to hunt. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the pirate "la buse" he had a code to break to find his treasure. That would be an amazing one to solve. Oliver la buse died with a lot of missing treasure, including the flaming cross of goa. He threw a coded parchment to the crowd before he was hanged. He claimed whoever solved it could find his loot.

OP
OP
InkingHubris

InkingHubris

Feb 14, 2017
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hey Blak bart, the problem with La Buse is it is all speculation. The original one has been decoded and is basically a recipe for a cough medicine, and the second one that surfaced (the one he supposedly threw before being hung) was shown to be a part of The Gold Bug puzzle by Poe, with drawings from a 20th century artist. Everything leads to it just being a legend with code and maps made later to add credence. There is no evidence to suggest anything about it is real, even the tale of how it came to be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread