Look at what I found today at a British Encapment

Stray Cat...

Greenie
Sep 12, 2010
So. Plfd. NJ
Detector(s) used
DFXcellent!
Hello Everyone!
Located two encampments on the same property, they are about 1/8 mile apart. I'm sure there are more just haven't finished working the two I've found so far. Got to love NJ! 'Quo Fata Vocant' 'Whither Destiny Takes Me' (Latin), the Motto of the Royal Regiment of Fusilers... HOW COOL IS THAT!!! I have other items that I haven't cleaned up yet will post them later! 80+ musket balls, buttons and such. Does anyone know what the two brass tubes in the one picture might have been for??? New to this forum... will ya look at what the cat dragged in!

Attachments

• DSC00551.JPG
    DSC00551.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,826
  • DSC00552.JPG
    DSC00552.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,810
  • DSC00553.JPG
    DSC00553.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,828
  • DSC00554.JPG
    DSC00554.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,820
  • DSC00555.JPG
    DSC00555.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,817
Upvote 0
Re: Look at what I found today at British Encapment

Welcome to T- Net Stray Cat ..some very cool finds! Musket ball finds :icon_thumleft: , is the Fusiliers motto made of silver? :icon_pirat: CMDdawg

Thank you CMDdawg! The moto banner is made of brass. It looks like it would have gone on the flap of a leather pouch... I think! The side by QOU was broken off, I'm thinking this was why it was discarded. I found that piece first (QOU) went back the following day and located the other half (FATA VOCANT).

the unknown might be powder measures or if a open tube a ram road guide

Great looking finds there Stray Cat! :o
Looks like you've found a very productive site, look forward to your future posts. :icon_thumright:

You have yourself a gold mine there!

Welcome to Tnet Stray Cat :hello:, great finds mate :icon_thumleft:. I shall watch your future posts with interest :laughing7:.

hammered

Stray Cat... said:
Thank you CMDdawg! The moto banner is made of brass. It looks like it would have gone on the flap of a leather pouch... I think! The side by QOU was broken off, I'm thinking this was why it was discarded. I found that piece first (QOU) went back the following day and located the other half (FATA VOCANT).
You are one of the fortunate ones , usually never works out that way . Nice Rev War finds to be discovered up North , next to zero :( down here in the Cape , Best of luck to you and many more ! :icon_pirat: CMD

Stray Cat,
Congrats on your finds. I'm about 15 minutes from you and your in a great Revolutionary War area. I've done some hunting in the area with some success. Keep it up.
NJ

Wow!! What a day! That piece with the motto on it is most likely a cartridge pouch badge (or part of one at least) based on the lugs. It's a beauty for sure, and no doubt a very rare piece!

The brass tube on the left of the photo is the top of a powder flask

the cartridge pouch piece is a banner find for sure!

I'd say you just made your year.

Patience with that one!!!

I would assume it is likely 5th Regiment of Foot (Northumberland Fusiliers). They were in your area. Their plates had a mounted horse, but it's quite possible this would have been mounted above the plate. Could very well be from another regiment or part of the uniform, but I am just throwing this out there.

Fired off an email to a major collector I know and already got a reply haha

He believes it is off a 5th of Foot cap (I guess I had the regiment right at least) and suggested there was likely another badge above it. His translation of the motto is "Whither the fates call"

It's a good one for sure!

Nice rev stuff Nice tom find site and get permission on them too. Im a fellow jersian now too love the finds out here much older than in minnesota where im from. HH Good LUck Mark

Great looking piece. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back