Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=&quot]Chert[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A hard, extremely dense or compact, dull to semivitreous, microcrystalline or cryptocrystalline sedimentary rock, consisting dominantly of interlocking crystals of quartz less than 30 µm in diameter.[/FONT]

https://mrdata.usgs.gov/geology/state/sgmc-lith.php?text=chert

Alabama[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Arkansas[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Arizona[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]California[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Georgia[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Iowa[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Idaho[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Illinois[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Indiana[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Kansas[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Kentucky[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Massachusetts[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Maryland[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Maine[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Michigan[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Minnesota[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Missouri[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Mississippi[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Montana[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]New Jersey[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]New Mexico[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Nevada[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]New York[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Ohio[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Oklahoma[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Oregon[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Pennsylvania[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]South Dakota[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Tennessee[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Texas[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Utah[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Virginia[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Vermont[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Washington[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]West Virginia[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]Wyoming

Look up your state and you can start narrowing down some of that strange material your arrowheads are made of.

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That chart is pretty lame for IL. It doesn't even show Lower Valmayern Mississippian layer that contains the most common chert in IL...Burlington. No mention of glacial till chert, which covers the upper half of the state. You need pics and descriptions and locations to identify chert. Gary

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Doesn't show 2 others sources that I know of for Michigan. Michigan rock is tough to knap but the source that I have been to has a good amount of knapping rock. They also did an archaeological dig there 20 years ago.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would have helped if it showed the counties.

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That chart is pretty lame for IL. It doesn't even show Lower Valmayern Mississippian layer that contains the most common chert in IL...Burlington. No mention of glacial till chert, which covers the upper half of the state. You need pics and descriptions and locations to identify chert. Gary

Doesn't do much for me either for Ohio.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Skips Rhode Island altogether. RI has a major source of jasper, visually indistinguishable from Pa. jasper, in Lime Rock, RI. This has always been known to New England mineral hunters, the Conklin Limestone Company long being one of the premier mineral collecting locales in the Northeast. However, prehistoric workings of Lime Rock jasper went undiscovered until the 1990’s.

3E96EE6E-59FC-499A-B426-A5D63AE05066.png

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would figure the USGS would do better. You all right pretty lame. I tried though. If its useless give a thumbs up and will remove it. No hurt feelings here. :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, don't remove it! It will just take more research for me to do, this is a decent starting point. We get some Delaware river river pebbles that are jet black. Don't know where that material comes from. Could even be Flint Ridge, Ohio.

Last edited:

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm going to go ahead and admit that I don't know anymore about it than I did before I looked at that. Way over my head lol.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The archies just found a jasper type here in Maryland previously unknown. At least to us...how does one tell chert from flint, again? I actually bought some Onondaga and Coshockton (to compare) as we can find some in our area. IMG_1987.JPG Here's my best Kirk point I found it back in 1984. I call it "Delaware River" flint. That's is not a proper name. There are no deposits of anything like this within 100 miles of here. Can anyone tell what it is? Maybe even flint ridge? Found on the lower Susquehanna River.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Leave it please. Still some good info.

An interesting thing about the rock I found is that it knaps better hydrated. I soak it for a week before I knap points out of it.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, jasper is also a form of chert, that’s why I mentioned the jasper source in R.I. I would certainly leave the link up....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread