Look what I BUSTed out of the teller tray yesterday.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dropped by a branch of my new bank to make a withdrawal while out on my lunch break and asked the teller if she had any loose half dollars. She had one;

20130509_003448_zpsbdbf6228.jpg

20130509_003551_zps193c86ae.jpg

That's a first and probably a last, ha. She said she got it from some guy a couple hours earlier in the day and if nobody asked for it by the end of the day, she was going to take it for herself. Then I showed up. I'm pretty sure its real, but not 100%, as I actually don't own a single CBH besides this one.

Upvote 0

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How awesome! Almost 200 years old!

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Make sure you check it. I found an 1857 Seated Liberty, but it turned out to be fake. Didn't sound right...didn't weight right. Was actually made out of lead...go figure. Anyway, that would be awesome if it was real. The find of a lifetime in my opinion.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE!! I love seeing all these awesome scores popping up lately, send your luck down south!! hah.
Thanks for sharing.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, bust halves weigh differently than a normal 90% due to a difference in the planchets used. I don't have my redbook on me, but I am almost certain with what I stated, especially for the earlier bust halves.

OP
OP
bigscores

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I was pretty stunned when she gave it to me.

Make sure you check it. I found an 1857 Seated Liberty, but it turned out to be fake. Didn't sound right...didn't weight right. Was actually made out of lead...go figure. Anyway, that would be awesome if it was real. The find of a lifetime in my opinion.

Yeah, I plan to take it to Stacks on Saturday morning and get their opinion since I have a coin I purchased sitting there waiting for me to pick up.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I own quite a few capped busts and yours looks real - no red flags. Congratulations on a once in a lifetime score. I'm curious - was the half laying off to the side? or was it in the teller tray?

By the way, it looks like yours is a Normal "3". There are a number of varieties - Broken 3, Ugly 3, and Patched 3.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscores

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own quite a few capped busts and yours looks real - no red flags. Congratulations on a once in a lifetime score. I'm curious - was the half laying off to the side? or was it in the teller tray?

By the way, it looks like yours is a Normal "3". There are a number of varieties - Broken 3, Ugly 3, and Patched 3.
Thanks for the quick assessment! It was sitting on top of the tray in the half dollar slot. I'd assume it didn't fit in the actual slots for halves because of the increased diameter.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks for the quick assessment! It was sitting on top of the tray in the half dollar slot. I'd assume it didn't fit in the actual slots for halves because of the increased diameter.

That what I was getting at. The early Busts have a diameter of 32 mm compared to 30 mm of today's halves. I was wondering if she literally had to bust it out of the teller tray. Very nice find.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always liked the early lettered edge US halves, though I've only got one in my collection and its holed (and it was poorly repaired, not by me though!)

Fun coins and one I'd love to get for 50 cents!

Nydus Touch

Jan 9, 2013
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW! And to think: I was going to post about getting a beat up steel cent out of a teller tray. Nice find!!!

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow bigscores, that's an incredible find. And she wanted to keep it, but handed it over? That's crazy. Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread