Look what I made today..Electrolysis Unit..

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look what I made today guys and gals. Guess what. Tonight I will make up a how to of exactly what you need to make one just like it. Very simple, yet very effective. What is it you ask. Why it is an Electrolysis unit for removing rust from your old rusty metal detecting finds. It may take me awhile to write it, but I have pictures from the start to finish for ya'll...Zaxfire69
IMG_1915.jpg

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright. I will put one together tonight.

Miningtown

Apr 22, 2009
Argyle, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI PRO sl, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Looks great. When you put something in...give us a before, during and after pic if you can....very interesting.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I can help.

Go to Walmart & purchase the big bucket of ice cream. Eat the ice cream.
cut several pieces of material for the anodes that will be 1 - 2" longer than the bucket is deep (I use stainless steel strips, 1. I've got tons. 2. I don't really worry about the gasses etc.)

Drill a 1/8th "hole in the end of each anode.

Make enough lengths of 18 ga. insulated wire to connect all the anodes together to fit around the outside of the bucket leaving a small loop (to bend over the side to hold anodes upright)

crimp a crimp connector on the end of each wire.

pop rivet the wires between the anodes (two ends on each). You should have a complete circle of wire.

cut a piece or strip of metal to fit across the bucket. I use a strip of stainless & clip a wire with a large aligator clip.

Connect the object to be cleaned to the clip on the center strip Fill the bucket till it covers the object with your favorite cleaning solution. For most iron I use water with a sprinkle or two of citric acid in it.

Now hook up a DC power supply or for larger objects a 12V battery charger Plus (+) to the anodes minus (-) to the strip holding the object.

This setup can be as large as you need. A plastic 55 gal. drum can be cut in half lengthwise and used for larger objects. I have two blue plastic drums put together end to end, that are used to clean up tools etc. Did an antique wood lathe with it.

If you use citric acid, it's fairly cheap, won't burn you. Yup, you guessed it! it's what they use to make those sour candies. You can get 1, 5, 20, 100 lb bags from companies that sell equipment to home brewers. Citric acid works great! If the dog or kids eat it it won't kill them. After you've cleaned your object and rinsed it in lots of fresh water, dry it completely, and coat the object right away with oil parafin etc. or it will begin to corrode again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions