Looking at the Tesoro Golden Umax. Are you satisfied with yours?

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, Minelab Etrac,, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Morning,, I'm not currently a Tesoro user, but I've been looking at You-Tube on some of the vids and I'm about convinced the Golden Umax may be just what I need for these trashy parks around here, the no ground balance is a concern to me but thought I'd go the the experts and ask you if this has been a problem to you.. I'm not looking for a depth demon... thoughts greatly appreciated.. have a nice day...

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
A little off subject, but do you have a 5x8 coil for your atpro in your picture? That is a great coil for trashy areas. Anyways, i just figured I would ask, and i am interested to see what people have to say about the golden umax. I watched a youtube video on one, and that notch feature is unique in how it works.

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
South Central, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Etrac,Fisher F75,Tesoro Golden UMax, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had a golden umax for several years now(old tone). It was the first detector that I purchased new and I can tell you it took some getting used to, but I had already used and learned on a silver umax so I understood tesoros good enough for a fairly smooth transition.

I live in south central Pennsylvania and the ground can be pretty tough in some places. I have hunted many parks with my golden and I can tell you, if you are using it as a coin shooter...its hard to beat. the lack of manual ground balance has never been an issue for me yet. once you get a few hours on the machine and learn the quirks and specific sounds...you will clean up in the parks that are littered with trash. I dig a lot of nickels with mine, and if your digging nickels....a lot of times you are diggin the jewelry as well.

The golden is plenty deep...and gets the job done...and quickly. I'll never sell mine...no way no how...thats how much I like it.

LittleJohn

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Manual ground balance control has two primary purposes: picking up as much potential detection depth as possible and dealing with ludicrous amounts of mineralisation/interference. If the ground is free of AC fields and isn't packed full of minerals, then the manual ground balance is only helpful for hitting deeper. The MicroMax Silver also has a fixed ground balance, also loves hitting coins, and it gets about 8 inches in moderate interference. The only problems I've had with it occur near sources of AC EM fields (e.g. power lines). If 8 inches is good enough for you and you don't have a lot of mineralisation to deal with, then manual ground balance control is optional.

OP
OP
Dign-nbama

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes,, I have and it does a pretty good job separating, as with most detectors aluminum and pull-tabs are still a killer, and has pretty good depth...Watching Youtube and when Micheal Czahur aka 53silver demonstration on the Tesoro Golden Umax, Wow different tone between gold and pulltab,,,, turned on my want to know bulb...
A little off subject, but do you have a 5x8 coil for your atpro in your picture? That is a great coil for trashy areas. Anyways, i just figured I would ask, and i am interested to see what people have to say about the golden umax. I watched a youtube video on one, and that notch feature is unique in how it works.

OP
OP
Dign-nbama

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Manual ground balance control has two primary purposes: picking up as much potential detection depth as possible and dealing with ludicrous amounts of mineralisation/interference. If the ground is free of AC fields and isn't packed full of minerals, then the manual ground balance is only helpful for hitting deeper. The MicroMax Silver also has a fixed ground balance, also loves hitting coins, and it gets about 8 inches in moderate interference. The only problems I've had with it occur near sources of AC EM fields (e.g. power lines). If 8 inches is good enough for you and you don't have a lot of mineralisation to deal with, then manual ground balance control is optional.
Thanks for the reply, I see your from Georgia, and unless your close to the coast (which I'm not) our soils should be pretty close to the same, so I figure I should get close to the same results.. HH

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
Yes,, I have and it does a pretty good job separating, as with most detectors aluminum and pull-tabs are still a killer, and has pretty good depth...Watching Youtube and when Micheal Czahur aka 53silver demonstration on the Tesoro Golden Umax, Wow different tone between gold and pulltab,,,, turned on my want to know bulb...

I watched that video too, and if it really does perform that well it has to be a park killer!

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in the Chattahoochee valley area. The soil around here seems to be easy-going. Mineralisation hasn't been a problem and I haven't found any hot rocks. I'm at the North end of the piedmont, so the soil is primarily vegetative deposition mixed with lots of silicates. I would imagine the worst areas would be clay; not for detection, but for digging. I might actually avoid clay areas entirely, unless I decide that I just want to see what's in there and I bring a serious, manly shovel.

OP
OP
Dign-nbama

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found out today they are apparently hard to come by,, something about production,, I e-mailed Tesoro direct and I'm waiting on an answer when they will be available again...

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
Found out today they are apparently hard to come by,, something about production,, I e-mailed Tesoro direct and I'm waiting on an answer when they will be available again...

Try to pm ALLCAV ....he is one of the main managers at tesoro and frequently helps out on these forums. Im sure he would be glad to help you.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
The videos referenced on utube are a great demonstration of the notch feature. Covers things not in the manual.

OP
OP
Dign-nbama

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks at Tesoro notified me today and said they didn't have a time frame when the Golden Umax will be available.... O well,,,,,, You Know what they say " Great things Comes to those who wait".....

oneton

Jul 24, 2006
LOUISIANA
I don't think you have to worry about a depth demon with a tesoro,I want one bad due to notch, light weight life time warranty but they have very little depth against my heard i have as of now

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im am satisfied for not owning one for the ones that are going on ebay lately, but can say this if one came around for $350 or less in Canadian dollars I would be up for that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread