E92FF

Greenie
May 9, 2015
In the Shadow of Mt St Helens
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All. I was recently in our local sporting goods store with my 10 year old and she came across the metal detectors. They had to have made some kind of impression on her because she wont stop talking about them. I have decided it would be a fun hobby for the two of us so I've been researching detectors. With all of the different options and features, coils, frequencies, etc I have more questions than when I started! I am hoping to get a little advice from people with knowledge of all these things.

We go to the beach quite a bit so a lot of our treasure hunting will take place in the sand. I would also be interested in searching the shores of our local rivers which vary between sand, rock, and dirt depending on the river. For our first detector I am looking to spend around $300.

I thought I was set on the Minelab X-terra 305 but this seems to be an older model and I'm wondering if there is something more current that would be a better option for us. Another that interested me is the Fisher F44 although I can't find any reviews on it.

Any advice whether it be a specific detector or just a feature to look for would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So we have played with it a little in the yard. So far we have dug up a handful of nails, a bolt, the hook off of a tie down, and a diet coke can that was about 6" deep. How does something get buried 6" deep in the time diet coke cans have existed?

Anyways it works. Now we've just got to find someplace with stuff worth digging!

The Xterras are good machines, your best bet general purpose coil is the 7.5 khz one. Learn to use minimal discrimination only to discriminate large nails, read and research the machine as well as you can.Don't go crazy lusting over a new and "better" unit. I have been very happy with mid-grade units as their performance as far as depth and speed is usually close to the top of the line machines, i own top of the line ones as well. Gain experience for many months with that Xterra and squeeze every last ounce of performance out of it. Enjoy, and don't lose patience you're gonna dig lots and lots of trash as you learn. With the trash comes the treasure.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SouthFLdigger couldn't have said it any better. Patience pays off.......eventually.

OP
OP
E92FF

E92FF

Greenie
May 9, 2015
In the Shadow of Mt St Helens
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got out and found our first valuables Sunday! I took her down to a local swimming hole and searched the beach for a couple hours. Came away with a rusty old spring, 2 bottle caps, a half dozen pull tabs, 2 nickles, and 2 pennies! This thing is paying off already!!! :laughing7:

Didn't take a pic of our loot yet but got a pic of the beach we searched:
attachment.php

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with Sandman on the Compadre suggestion. Its a fine machine. I had one of its relatives - the Bandido - and it was great. I feel guilty coinshooting with my Deus. Thing is, I set it once and rarely look at the screen anyhow. Might as well have a Tesoro. :dontknow:

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites coinMaster GT

The coin Master GT- is water resistant, rain or a splash wont be a problem , not water proof like the coil. It has large icons to view finds, great all around detector for your price
call me if you have any questions
dennis

Last edited:

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's Coinmaster GT
Great machine for both of you, also water resistant display box, water proof coil
call me if you have any questions
thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread