Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are, they would probably be older titles, they are pretty much compilation of treasure tales through out history.
Some are sets covering the USA. Usually state by state.
United States Treasure Atlas- by: Thomas P. Terry. Vol. 7
America's Lost Treasures- by: Michael Paul Henson
Buried Treasure if the United States- by: Robert F. Marx

Books by---W.C. Jameson, Karl Von Mueller, Glenn Carson, Charles Garrett,

There are some older authors but I can't remember there names right now.

Hope this helps.

You may want to check into treasure lore tales for western N. Carolina in a local library. A lot of states have books on their history that contain treasure leads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting ready to buy another stack of books found some good local ones currently reading etched in granite about town i grew up in but my barber also hunts where the town was in 17 and 18 hundreds he said the owner won't let anyone search he's tried for years but I'm sure ill find some local places.

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure you've heard anything about my neck of the woods.. Avalon was just a hop skip and a jump from my back yard.. There is a few local stories about treasures from this ghost two right be the railroad tracks.. thou the town is no longer there.. could be a great way to spend a day. They've even reopen the Mayo River State Park

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill read about it tonight hope its in.or near Caldwell county, I'm.just doing.research at the moment while i save up for a Garrett halfway there at the moment.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also forgot to say anyone know what happened to gypsy she seemed to have lots of info.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
neo: I know you posted a year ago - but perhaps you are still looking.

Most successful treasure hunters specialize. Are you interested in "general" caches (for lack of a better term)? Do you have a copy of the old WPA Guide to North Carolina? Most of these have been reprinted and they are excellent sources of treasure leads.

Are you interested in bootlegger and Prohibition-era plants? That would involve newspaper research - looking for stories of stills destroyed and rum runners arrested. Then you'd research the area, find the property owners, and take it from there. Same for stories of burglary rings busted.

Have you read Deek Gladson Sudden Wealth? It's probably the best introduction to treasure hunting ever written. Karl von Mueller's Treasure Hunter's Manual #6 and # are classics. His Waybills to El Dorado is an excellent guide full of examples. Many of these specific treasures have been recovered (as have most if not all of those detailed in THM #6). The key is to use these stories as blueprints.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neo: I know you posted a year ago - but perhaps you are still looking.

Most successful treasure hunters specialize. Are you interested in "general" caches (for lack of a better term)? Do you have a copy of the old WPA Guide to North Carolina? Most of these have been reprinted and they are excellent sources of treasure leads.

Are you interested in bootlegger and Prohibition-era plants? That would involve newspaper research - looking for stories of stills destroyed and rum runners arrested. Then you'd research the area, find the property owners, and take it from there. Same for stories of burglary rings busted.

Have you read Deek Gladson Sudden Wealth? It's probably the best introduction to treasure hunting ever written. Karl von Mueller's Treasure Hunter's Manual #6 and # are classics. His Waybills to El Dorado is an excellent guide full of examples. Many of these specific treasures have been recovered (as have most if not all of those detailed in THM #6). The key is to use these stories as blueprints.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

I'm looking for it all lol mainly caches interest me since I believe there's more of them then we think I do have all of those books except the waybills one its expensive for me. Im trying to understand the WPA guide people keep bringing it up but I'm not sure how its useful if some one could elaborate that would be helpful. I also have Thomas p Terrys treasure atlas but even though people swear by it I can't find any info on the ghost towns listed in nc. I'm starting to wonder if western nc isn't a great place to search most nc treasure tales deal with the east coast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread