Looking for a detector!

Jwilson534

Mar 2, 2017
Southeast ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I've never been metal detecting but have always wanted to get into it. I live in the first settled town in ohio so there is a lot of history here. I also would want something I can use for gold detecting in places like Arizona. I was told I would want something that would go more than 12" deep. So any thoughts on a detector that would be good for hunting in ohio for coins and things and I can use for gold when I go to AZ?

Upvote 0

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I've never been metal detecting but have always wanted to get into it. I live in the first settled town in ohio so there is a lot of history here. I also would want something I can use for gold detecting in places like Arizona. I was told I would want something that would go more than 12" deep. So any thoughts on a detector that would be good for hunting in ohio for coins and things and I can use for gold when I go to AZ?
You didn't say if you have a price range, But the Garrett AT Pro is good all around unit. Have a look on U Tube There are some good AT Pro demonstrations there and others.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
J

Jwilson534

Mar 2, 2017
Southeast ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With that budget and the need for both coin shooting and nugget hunting.......two machines. If you're only occasionally nugget hunting, a used Minelab GPX machine along with a new CTX3030 would be my two choices. If you absolutely don't need a waterproof machine and/or weight is an issue, the XP Deus would be another to look at.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the 3030 is a premier coin and relic machine, but not especially great for gold nuggets. For that the Minelab GPX 5000 is great, but there are others such as the Fisher Gold Bug, Garrett Gold Stinger, and other VLFs. The GPX is a PI machine and many gold hunters like the PIs, but they are not so good for coins/relics since they do not discriminate. Most serious MDers have multiple machines to match the different types of hunting they do. There is a good market for used detectors since many people try the hobby and then decide they don't have the time or patience for it. I use a site called "AdHuntr" where you can search all of craigslist, and of course there are many good used machines on eBay. Quite often good machines can be found used with a lot of warranty left on them. Some of the supporting vendors on this site also sell good used machines.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the 3030 would be more for coin and relic?

It's a great machine for just about all forms of detecting, except nuggets and deep water diving. It's a wonderful salt water beach machine. Even after you have bought the CTX, a top-of-the-line sand scoop, and all the other accessories you'll need, you still have enough left over for a nice used gold machine. Any of the GPX series or even the SD series are great nugget machines. You'd be hard pressed to find small 12" deep nuggets with a Gold Bug. Shallow and small nuggets are the Gold Bugs' forte.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post deleted, FYI, non charter members cannot advertise nor discuss detectors they have for sale.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread