Looking for a Mid-range detector on a budget

Sandskimmer

Jul 6, 2014
Lancaster, Pa
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 2200, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, just to get started I've been a casual detectorist for the last several years, (recent college grad) and I've been learning the ropes with a BH Discovery 2200.

I've been wanting to make the plunge to a more professional detector for a year or so and I'd love to get some feedback on what would be a good detector for my interests and price range.

I frequent the nearby parks and anytime land is being cleared, and for that the Discovery works fine. But my real interest lies in beach detecting, including dry and wet sand and shallows, though I've been limited to dry sand up till now.

I'm still on a budget and I'm trying to find something in the 300-400 range (if possible). To that end, I've been haunting Kelly Co's refurbished pages for months.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a Viper Trident (280 down from 999) but after doing some research I saw that it got some really lackluster reviews.

Anyways, glad to be joining

Would love any feedback or tips you guys have,

Will

Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used older high end whites unit DFX go around 4-500.. still over your budget.
The Coinmaster GT that I got should work in the wet sand as it has a beach mode that adjust the ground tracking for wet sand. It won't be as good as a multi frequency machine but it work from what other have told me. I have not gotten to a beach to try it. On land it is very respectable and NEL coil makes a wide range of coils that work with it for a reasonable price. Street price (call flphil at Meyers Metal Detectors (813) 237-1939 for a price he sells a lot of them) is a good bit less than the advertised $399.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There aren't any new machines in that price range that will work good on a salt water beach. With some luck you should be able to find a good used machine in that price range. If you're hunting only fresh water, the AT Pro is a good choice. Salt water is more of a problem and a more expensive solution. For an all purpose machine, The Minelab's are a great choice....Sovereign GT, Explorer, and E-trac (if you're real lucky!). A PI machine works great at a salt water beach too, but they're miserable at a park. You're smart in asking users their experience rather than falling for the manufacturers sales hype. You may have to save few more dollars to get a better all-around machine or to get two machines instead to cover your hunt conditions.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't add much to Cudamark's post except to say wet saltwater sand needs two or more transmit freq. and that costs more $$ new. But there are used CZ-20 or 21's. The Sand Shark is great but lacks good disc and would drive you crazy at a park. Only buy detectors from the major manufactures!

GT.JPG King of the Beach detactors if you can find them. http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/sovereign-gt

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandskimmer

Sandskimmer

Jul 6, 2014
Lancaster, Pa
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 2200, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much guys. I'm more than willing to look at used or refurb detectors since I won't be getting out too often. I'm still putting money away as I can, and as I do my options will open up. I've got my sights set on a Garret AT Pro right now. And to answer you previous question, it'll probably be roughly 50/50 between parks and saltwater beaches. Any comment on the Minelab X-terra series?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're only a single frequency VLF machine so they're not the best for salt water beaches.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd look into a used Whites MXT. They're great machines that you can sometimes find listed for as low as $300.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There again, an MXT is not the best in salt water. It's a fine choice for dry sand and turf settings though.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If working salt beaches, the most cost effective option IMO is going to be used Fisher CZ. You might find a nice CZ-6a (water resistant, not waterproof) for that price!

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There again, an MXT is not the best in salt water. It's a fine choice for dry sand and turf settings though.

Right, Forgot that requirement.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread