Looking for a new machine... any suggestions?

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Last year I was in the market for a machine and on the website I was on the majority said Ace250 so this is what I bought. I am not going to say that it isn't a nice starter machine, because it is. I have found lots of great items with it, but I want something different. I also have a White's Coinmaster 2900D and it actually is more along the lines of what I want, except that I want something more updated. The handle on the White's is very uncomfortable to swing fr any amount of time. The coil is also a centrical coil and I can't find an eliptical coil for the unit. I love the fact that I can discriminate out the nails on the White's. For some reason the Ace250 still picks up nails even if I notch them out. This might or might not be the fault of the machine, but it drives me nuts. All in all I still want a different machine. The guys that hunted a couple of the battlesites before us had really old machines and they found lots of great items.

Here is a little about our searching:

The ground here is very low in minerals. I can run the Ace250 on full sensitivity in most of the areas we search. We hunt alot of timber and swampy ground. Most items are deeper in these areas than in some of the fields we search. The fields that we search are sandy type soils. We are mainly searching for CW relics, but also search for coins and jewelry. The places we search are mostly old plantation house places were the ground is hot with nails. We seldom get to hunt a site that is free from much trash, so I need a good machine that will discriminate good.

I have been seriously thinking about the Tesoro Cibola, but I am open to other options. My budget is right around $300.00.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
SwampHunter,

Given your low budget and the type of hunting you are doing I think you might be just as well off with the Silver uMax. Add the 12"X10" optional coil to the machine and you have a winner! Take a look at my ebay site and PM me if I can help you further. Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe is right about the Umax for your choice. It is under rated and on a par with much more expensive machines.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with Joe and Sandman

I plan to pick up a Silver for a back up machine cus it can hunt with the big boys!!

HH

PTP

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Pull-tab Parson said:
I'm with Joe and Sandman

I plan to pick up a Silver for a back up machine cus it can hunt with the big boys!!

HH

PTP

I bought the Silver and the 12x10 coil. Made some really nice finds with it already. The 12x10 coil is brutal on the arms!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread