Looking for a PI machine and Whites TDI Pro looks decent- is it deeper than the CTX?

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Looking for a PI machine and White's TDI Pro looks decent- is it deeper than the CTX?

I'm thinking of getting a PI machine to get increased depth over my CTX 3030 at a salt water beach. Has anyone ever handled both detectors and can verify the depth is deeper for the TDI Pro? Also, any other info about the TDI Pro would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help!

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm selling my SL in the classified section.

I have a V3i I've used on the beach. The TDI goes way deeper with the 12" and GB off.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to promote your detector, but I've read here that a PI machine will go deeper than a VLF machine will. CTX is kind of a hybrid VLF I would say. But I'm not qualified to compare the two types of machines - though I do love the capabilities of the CTX.

"I know what's there" versus we gotta dig every target.

That's where I'd really be interested in more direct comparisons.

It really is a deep subject. But it may be, provided users are convinced, very beneficial to a majority of us here - using any competent machine on the market.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Get the dual field. Almost half the price of a TDI and hardly any depth loss between the two. Dual field is way better for what you're looking for.....salt water beaches,...the 1500$ TDI is not gonna be a good choice for salt water mist and wave action splashing at you while your looking down for a deep target. You'll ruin your new 1500$ machine in a hurry. Dual field-completely water proof and your gonna be able to get into the wet waist deep water where most of the gold is lying anyway out performing the TDI with better and more finds from the water versus sticking to land and wet sand with your your Whites.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for a PI machine and White's TDI Pro looks decent- is it deeper than ...

I had a dual field and a TDI Pro. Get the Dually. It actually had a better threshold and was way lighter. The Dual Fields smoother threshold actually allowed me to hear deeper targets. Worrying about salt spray and sand makes it not worth lugging the big box TDI around. I dug some 20" + clad with the Dual Field and lost a few other targets that sank beyond where my stamina would allow me to get at anyway. I regret selling it before I ever dug gold but I know it's possible based on the deep clad I dug.

Last edited:

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good thread. The White's factory showroom and museum are about an hour from here. I may have to pay them a visit!

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another vote for the DF - for beach use way better than my TDI was.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Duel Field might be water proof but there is NO way is it deeper than the TDI Pro, The TDI Pro will Smoke the DF and the CTX and the Garrett ATX on the Beach and the only machine that might be Deeper on the Beach is a GPX.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I didn't say it was deeper than the TDI but I also wouldn't say it smokes the DF. TDI my be a bit deeper but not by much to say it smokes it. Both have the same 12" spider coil

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously the TDI's are a lot deeper and being able to run the TDI with the GB off really boosts the depth enormously, One of the secretes with the TDI is setting the Frequency just right, heaven forbid if you ever find a large target way down deep, I love being able to pick the type of Target that the TDI's offer over other PI's.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
aminesweeper : TDI SL ?? or TDI pro? Which do you prefer? I think the SL is a little more slicked out, lighter and more fine tuned. Ground balancing is very finicky sometimes with the SL.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aminesweeper : TDI SL ?? or TDI pro? Which do you prefer? I think the SL is a little more slicked out, lighter and more fine tuned. Ground balancing is very finicky sometimes with the SL.

I love the SL because it is so straight forward to use and it is easier to Tame and get on with but tuning the frequency is a little harder due to the noise filters hiding a lot of the EMI, but when you have it tuned right you can pull some good depth from it, But I like the pro because of the power and it has a faster sweep speed, Tuning the Pro is easier because they are a bit more noisy but once dialled In they can hang with the best, The Battery life is great on the pro, But I modded the Dry cell pack that came with the SL so I get a longer run time,

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing to keep in mind, The greatest percentage of the treasure is in the water. I would love to have a fully water proof TDI or even a GPX but bottom line is either of these stock will limit your hunting to on shore and the chances of a mishaps is high as you go closer ...

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then the other option is the ATX

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Then the other option is the ATX

I have a Garrett LS, I have to say I hate the Hi/Lo Lo/Hi.. Maybe someday A waterproof TDI which I think I could do with a little work but my concern is I wonder how the deeper salt water would affect the uS settings on the TDI or would it be a waste since you would have to adjust much higher to run stable? I have beach's that if you are there at the right time you can get several gold's per hunt.

And it just hit me I have a friend with a ATX.. Maybe I need to borrow...for a month or so.. but the tones drive me crazy..

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Garrett LS, I have to say I hate the Hi/Lo Lo/Hi.. Maybe someday A waterproof TDI which I think I could do with a little work but my concern is I wonder how the deeper salt water would affect the uS settings on the TDI or would it be a waste since you would have to adjust much higher to run stable? I have beach's that if you are there at the right time you can get several gold's per hunt.

And it just hit me I have a friend with a ATX.. Maybe I need to borrow...for a month or so.. but the tones drive me crazy..

As long as you keep the coil level on the pro you can run it without using the GB, and keep the delay at 10, you could try adjusting the delay as well, The Pro is a very clever machine, I would not part with mine.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't say it was deeper than the TDI but I also wouldn't say it smokes the DF. TDI my be a bit deeper but not by much to say it smokes it. Both have the same 12" spider coil

If you have a look at this Video this guy shows you that the TDI Pro gives a good signal at 18" and most likely it would go as far as 19 or 20 inches, But the Duel Field drops off at around 12 inches, The Guy also posts a Chart at the end if the Video showing the Results'

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have ran the dual field and TDI on the beach and I don't know if it has to do with these targets being freshly buried or what but the Dual Field is way deeper than 12". I dug some coins at 16-20" easily. I know the dual field ran smoother than the TDI Pro (gb off) and you never are thinking about what all the salt spray is killing inside your machine.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have ran the dual field and TDI on the beach and I don't know if it has to do with these targets being freshly buried or what but the Dual Field is way deeper than 12". I dug some coins at 16-20" easily. I know the dual field ran smoother than the TDI Pro (gb off) and you never are thinking about what all the salt spray is killing inside your machine.

That would be the case with all the machines, They would see deeper possibly if undisturbed similar to how a VLF does.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions