Looking for advice; new to gold detecting

northern_sierras

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing a lot of prospecting in remote creeks in plumas/sierra counties, underwater sniping and crevicing on the banks of bedrock. Last year i was tinkering in some shale and pulled out my biggest find, a 5gram nugget. It was a completely random find as it was where i decided to sleep that night and was just poking around next to the camp fire. This got me thinking about getting into detecting. The areas i go are very remote and i doubt anyone gets down in these canyons at all. I was wondering what detector you guys would recommend. I would like to be able to find 2grain pieces or bigger, as most of the gold i pull out is around that size. Would be nice to run a detector over cracks and get an idea if anything is in it without spending hours hammering the whole thing out only to find a spec or two.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you asking if a metal detector would find nuggets?
Seems like you have nice nuggets there. It would probably be a great cheat tool too. Keep ya from digging every crack out, just snipe the beepers.

OP
OP
N

northern_sierras

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you asking if a metal detector would find nuggets?
Seems like you have nice nuggets there. It would probably be a great cheat tool too. Keep ya from digging every crack out, just snipe the beepers.

Looking to spend about 1500...not looking for stuff like civil war relics or anything like that, just gold. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Also, i was looking at the XP Duce but read thats mainly for treasure hunting where other metals are involved?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plan on buying a good set of headphones. It is pretty noisy along those creeks sometimes.

If your into sniping, you might see if there is a way to incorporate a Falcon Gold Tracker into your process...
$250 would probably pay it's self off pretty fast. I have heard they are decent inside hard rock mines as well.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher Goldbug II; Whites GMT; Minelab is introducing the new "1000" for $799.00 - a VLF.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plan on buying a good set of headphones. It is pretty noisy along those creeks sometimes.

If your into sniping, you might see if there is a way to incorporate a Falcon Gold Tracker into your process...
$250 would probably pay it's self off pretty fast. I have heard they are decent inside hard rock mines as well.

If he just wants to check the cracks that might really be all he needs. Looks interesting and not a big ticket item.

He could get this Gold Racer Pro combo package https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/gold-racer-pro-package and maybe these headphones? https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/racer-2-wireless-2-4-ghz-headphones-module and still have enough left in his budget for the Falcon.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi there,

Welcome to the golden journey! Metal detecting is a lot of hard work, but when you get into a hot spot, the fun is unlike anything else.

As for a detector for your purpose, you've been given great advice so far, but you might also consider the Gold Bug Pro as it has a short learning curve, and it's a light, great little detector. I don't think it will fit your request for the 2-grain need, but if you're really after the little stuff, the other detectors suggested will fit the bill.

Congratulations on your find! What a great stroke of luck, but it also sounds like you're no stranger to hard work, so if you couple a strong, unwavering determination to learn what you need to know about detecting and whichever detector you choose, and if you stick with it until the gold comes, it sounds like you'll do all right.

All the best,

Lanny

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whites TDI SL or TDI PRO are both close to 1500. They are both dedicated gold machines. The minelab coils are interchangeable whith the TDI machines. There would be a slight learning curve with these machines. But if you were considering the Duce the a Tdi wouldn't be anymore intimidating.

Last edited:

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would get a Makro gold Racer. All the Nok/Mak detectors are good for gold but Gold Racer at 56khz is a hot machine on tiny gold and up to larger ones. 10x5 solid eliptical is my coil of choice. You can find tiny gold with this size and still cover alot of ground. There is also a 7.5 x 4 " eliptical coil also available that fits between rocks really well and is great on tiny gold. I have some videos on my youtube channel called
Californiagold metal detecting adventures. There is some videos on there of The Gold Racer finding tiny gold. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread