Looking for an estimated price on rare plates....

Luvpawz

Dec 20, 2013
New York - suburbs of NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these together at an estate sale and can't find these exact ones anywhere on the internet.... below is how the listing will appear for online auction.... does anyone have an idea of the year these where produced and an estimated value for them? 054.JPG 055.JPG 056.JPG 057.JPG 058.JPG 059.JPG

Lecot Plates-2 "Lawrence" & "Gainsborough" Mulder&Loon -Rare Vintage Handpainted
Very hard to find plates from Lecot
Front of Plates say "Gainsborough Mulder & Loon Amsterdam Holland" and "Lawrence Mulder & Loon Amsterdam Holland"
Lecot Gold Hallmark on back of both plates
They are both 10 1/4" in diameter
No cracks or chips of china. "Gainsborough" plate in excellent condition. "Lawrence" plate has very minor paint chipping at face of girl.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey pawz,

You might have a look at these: | eBay

conway-twiitty-lonely-blue-boy.jpg

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice plates. I don't know much about them, and I can't buy them from you on here because you are not a charter member. But If I saw them at a yard sale, I would have no trouble plopping down a 20 for them.

OP
OP
L

Luvpawz

Dec 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks - I thought the inscription was Mulder and Loon and I actually got responses to that search. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
L

Luvpawz

Dec 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this site the other night a this was my second thread...liking the people on here so just signed up to be charter member!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I've never understood the concept of collector art plates. people don't eat off of 'em, but instead hang them on a wall :icon_scratch: I don't see anyone buying framed oil paintings to serve food on though

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't that motif called Blueboy? Did you post it on the what's it and what is it worth forums farther down, you may have better luck getting info.

OP
OP
L

Luvpawz

Dec 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestion - I'm still learning the site... The boy is titled "Gainsborough" and the girl is titled "Lawrence"

katdancing

Jun 16, 2012
central wisconsin
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luvpawz, Good morning, Thomas Lawrence did the portrait of "Pinky" & Thomas Gainsborough did the portrait of "Blueboy". The value of your plates would depend on who produced the plate & what condition they are in. If antiques, $50 or up. If they are reproductions around $20. Nice finds. Kat

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will make a few bucks, but the plates are not necessarily rare.

The "blue boy" and from what I know the "Walking Widow"? are very common pictorals in antiques. They are in the form of Lithographs-coffee mugs. You may make a couple of dollars, but these are not a very tough to find image on, well anything.

Many companies bought rights to the pictorals and in turn printed them on many different items of home decor.

You may make more on the Woman than the boy. The ORIGINAL blue boy lithographs hold a higher value, but the more mass produced decor do not.

SOURCE: I bought one when I first began, a blue boy litho, only to find out from my Art gallery Friend the history of them, and that I picked probably one of the least valuable and I paid quite a pretty penny. I think it was around 155 for the lithograph after buyers premium at auction.

Good luck.

OP
OP
L

Luvpawz

Dec 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all - I know there are a few plates like this but I'm hoping because they are from Lecot who is no longer in business to my knowledge and the hand painting I might be able to make a little profit on them. Will keep you advised.

Nothing on Replacements.com

Last edited:

David Bailey

Jan 9, 2014
Stoke on Trent, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,
The original painting was by Gainsborough but the plates were decorated with ceramic decals from Mulder and Zoon in Amsterdam, Holland.
The pattern number is 2072 and was available in a variety of sizes to fit different shapes of ceramic ware. The pattern was part of their open stock range and was sold to many different ceramic factories.
To give a little history, the Mulder factory was originally a book printing and publishing company. My father, Kenneth Bailey, contacted Mulders in 1948 and asked if they would be interested in producing decoration decals for ceramics. There was a joint venture set up which lasted for over 50 years until the Mulder factory sadly closed.
I still have file sheets of the Blue Boy and Pinky decals.
I hope this helps.
Kindest regards
David Bailey
Bailey Decal Ltd.

Lecot Plates-2 "Lawrence" & "Gainsborough" Mulder&Loon -Rare Vintage Handpainted
Very hard to find plates from Lecot
Front of Plates say "Gainsborough Mulder & Loon Amsterdam Holland" and "Lawrence Mulder & Loon Amsterdam Holland"
Lecot Gold Hallmark on back of both plates
They are both 10 1/4" in diameter
No cracks or chips of china. "Gainsborough" plate in excellent condition. "Lawrence" plate has very minor paint chipping at face of girl.[/QUOTE]

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
David Bailey,
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
It's such a pleasure to see and read a primary ('first person') source response.
Don...

Couldn't agree more. Welcome

David Bailey

Jan 9, 2014
Stoke on Trent, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am pleased the information was useful. If any members have any questions on ceramic decal designs I will be more than happy to help (I'm not an expert !)
David.

David Bailey,
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
It's such a pleasure to see and read a primary ('first person') source response.
Don...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread