Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this a long time ago. It was advertised as dug in great Britain, bronze arrowhead. Iā€™m not too worried if itā€™s fake or not I didnā€™t pay much. Assuming it is real, what can you tell me about it? Looking for things like rough age, maybe thereā€™s a name for the style, anything about the people that made it and so on. Iā€™m working on a catalog of my stuff and Iā€™d like to add a better description than ā€œCeltic arrowhead dug in Great Britain by unknown personā€

Itā€™s roughly a couple inches long and itā€™s way out of my general area of expertise the rest of my arrowheads are the North American stone variety. So any help would be appreciated
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1585992056.762149.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1585992073.602420.jpg

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's unlikely that your bronze arrowhead was actually detected in England, that was and is a popular false selling point used by many shady UK based dealers of material they bought from detectorists in Eastern Europe and the Balkans on the cheap. Artifacts claiming a UK origin always fetch top dollar so one must be careful. Based on my experience I think it's a Black Sea region or lower Danube River basin area early(er) Iron Age bilobate arrowhead of the Cimmerians, Scythians, or adjacent Greek or Celtic/Thracian peoples, however that general style was extremely widespread and popular over a wide area so pinpointing an age and culture may not be possible. Given where those "UK-found" dealers get stuff though it's probably from Bulgaria, Ukraine or Russia and from the 8th-6th centuries BC. Those earlier bilobate pieces are nicer and more substantial than the more common later trilobate arrowheads so it's a nice piece regardless of any dealer deception.

You may find this broad overview and attempt at identifying European and Near Eastern arrowhead styles interesting: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Ancient%20Metal%20Arrowheads

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info and direction I know I may be a little late but I thought after a while with no takers the thread was dead then forgot about it all together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread