Looking for burned gold and silver coins

Diamond Spike

Jan 26, 2005
Alabama
Hi all and Merry Christmas. ;D

I have a question. I met this guy at the bookstore the other day and he informed me that in 1994 that his house burned and that he had a lot of gold and silver coins in the house. He said he couldn't find any of them after the fire. He then said he thought the firemen took them. I told him I doubted that. He told me he had the house pushed over an embankment and had the land cleared. He asked if I would bring my MD out there and look for it and said he would pay me. OK now my question... how do I even start to look for these coins and will they register differently on my MD since they have been through a fire?

Thanks for any input
Diamondspike

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
It is possible that the coins are melted together, depending on where they were in the house and where the fire was. Either way, the only thing I can suggest to to hunt in all metal and dig every signal. It may take a while, but you will find them. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me.

detector dave

Dec 23, 2007
between Cadillac and Big Rapids
Detector(s) used
whites 6000 & spectrum
sorry about your los,but how did the fire start and are you sure that the coins were not stolen then the fire started? I do not trust any one when it comes to collections of treasure. Yes i am a cop but I do not like to tell peole where i live. you never know who wants to get back at you.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just finished a house fire recovery of over 1,300 coins.

Hate to tell him, but, if the fire was hot, the silver and gold would melt long before clad. I found clumped together jewelry that regestered as silver. Melted gold watch, the owner wanted. There is a chance that some coins survived. My DFX did a good job of finding coins in clumps and in mass in melted plastic jugs. Lots of iron and other junk but my detector didn't have trouble discriminating through it. The melted pastic jug just jumped around on my screen as penny dime quarter.

Here's the link on T-net of my recovery.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,121266.0.html

Good luck
Ken

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
They won't register as coins anymore if they are melted. But should still show up in the non ferrous side of your detectors readings. In this case you are going to have to pretty much dig everything that gives a solid non iron signal.

ON the fireman, while we wish they weren't crooked, since we like to view them as our hero's, sadly some of them are as crooked as they come and will in a second lift a ring, a watch, or a coin from a house they are in... afterall, who would DARE accuse a fireman of theevin.. yanno??

With that said, if it is still around, it might have been scattered too, scattered / splattered, so that means you might not find a 'lump' but many lumplets of the coins and stuff.

Worse case, you can send the blob into a refiner and they will pay spot price for the gold content minus a small commission.

Good luck in your hunt there and I hope you find what you are after.

Aaron

OP
OP
Diamond Spike

Diamond Spike

Jan 26, 2005
Alabama
Hey Kas thanks for the link. I see you are going through what I'm about to.
Cool thread man, lots of info there. BTW, did you get the coins apart?
I can't wait to see what I'm up against. The guy said he would take me out there to where it happened and show me where they pushed the remains of the house over the embankment.
I have a feeling it may be very overgrown since this fire happened 14 yrs ago {1994}.
This may be a big undertaking but since there's gold and silver involved, I'm game.

HH
Diamond Spike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions