looking for coins, found these

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week, when the weather was still good, around 40 degrees, went out to the yard to try out my new DFX.

Of course I'd hunted the yard a lot before with my old tector, but thougt I'd go it a go.

It seems that everytime I go hunting for coins I find this stuff. Pretty cool though.

All of it is from my yard which use to be a barn yard where I built my new house.

The farmer who lost it must have been big into the BPOE/ Elks. All badges are Elks related, and are from the east coast. Dates are 1904 ans 1905. Stamped on back as being produced by the Whitehead and Hoag company of NJ. Research showed that that company was credited with inventing the pin on celulose buttons.

Attachments

• BPOE medals 026.jpg
    BPOE medals 026.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 551
Upvote 0

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Hey those are some great digs. What kind of area where they found in? Bound to be other stuff there for sure
Happy hunting
~Nash~

Sandmaniac

Jan 23, 2007
Rehoboth Ma.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably had some cookouts or something on his property with the lodge. Maybe a couple of keggers.
Nice finds.
MIke

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Nice finds... probably parts of a couple of segmented badges. The charging buffalo almost certainly belongs with any other pieces dated 1905, as the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks (BPOE) held their 19th annual reunion in Buffalo, New York in 1905. I believe that the 1904 reunion/convention was held in Cincinnati, Ohio.

OP
OP
Kas

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that Buffalo does say N.Y. 1905.

Found them all within ten feet of each other, about ten feet away from my house, built in 1999. There is a filled in well in my back yard, found some good stuff around it, too.
Just bought the DFX machine, had hunted the yard with a prizm 5 I bought a couple years back. The DFX seems to do much better. Can't wait to get back out when the snow clears here in Ohio.

As I said, my yard was part of the barnyard that the farm house still sits on. Of course, that farmhouse is now in town. The old house is dated to around 1860.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandmaniac said:
Probably had some cookouts or something on his property with the lodge. Maybe a couple of keggers.
Nice finds.
MIke
Yeah,that's what I was thinking. :) Nice finds.

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are really nice! You think the lady of the house made him keep his stuff in the barn? ;)

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Coins are great to find but small scripted relics(buttons, badges and such) are every bit as exciting.......very cool....Joe

OP
OP
Kas

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiggerBug said:
Those are really nice! You think the lady of the house made him keep his stuff in the barn? ;)

If she did he kept it with a bunch of Iron bolts and lead spatter. LOL. More like this stuff was in the burn pile.

Don't know what value they have, but I e-mailed the Connecticut lodge #19 that is on the one badge for more info.

That badge says Buffalo 1905, but the lodge is in Hartford. I haven't found one coin in my yard, but plenty of stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread