Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally updating and organizing my "Antietam and other battles" relic case. I just finished my Gettysburg. I have been collecting relics for about 40 years, since our first trip as a family to Gettysburg. I have always gotten my relics from the Horse Soldier in Gettysburg on our trips there. Most were acquired in the 80's and 90's. I have avoided Ebay like the plague just don't trust it. I did get a few Antietam things at a relic shop in Antietam about 30 years ago on a trip there.

I have a couple questions.

I am looking for a dug Union sword belt plate for the non-Gettysburg display, left side of picture. I want to add a Union belt plate and a Union sword belt plate to the display.

the revolver was from an auction in NH, and I got a factory letter from Colt that it was sent to Lt. Col. Ramsay in Dec. 1861, missing parts but I love it and all numbers match and it functions.

does anyone have one or one of each for sale, that they would be willing to send to a new home?

Secondly and maybe most important, can I get some names of relic dealers you guys trust? I have always found the Horse Soldier trustworthy but pricey

SlgHFwuh.jpg

FNDpAdUh.jpg

3A959Ovh.jpg

Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can check in with my buddy Ian Workman. he lives in Shepardstown, WV across the river from Antietam. Here is a link to his website
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://acwrelics.com/[/FONT]

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
You can check in with my buddy Ian Workman. he lives in Shepardstown, WV across the river from Antietam. Here is a link to his website
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://acwrelics.com/[/FONT]

I had book marked his site along with about 4 others. You don't really get a good feel for someone from just a website. Glad to hear he is a friend. i will look closer at what he has

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve found more than one knife out west exactly like the one you have labeled “mess knife”.
I wonder if they were “army surplus” that made their way over here?

Nice display. Probably really let’s you immerse yourself every day.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
First, ordered a nice dug belt plate from Ian.

on the "mess knife" I have to assume they were common issue for a long time, also a lot of vets took them with them.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other

bought oval and rectangular belt plates from Ian, he was very helpful. They are relic condition as that is what my collection is.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bought oval and rectangular belt plates from Ian, he was very helpful. They are relic condition as that is what my collection is.
Good to hear. A lot of his stuff is from the Antietam Campaign. I have metal detected with him on multiple occasions.

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to detect, found a pain bullet in my brothers backyard outside of Wash DC, Hyattsville or something like that (it was a long time ago). Mostly around the Eastern Mass area

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread