kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Was going through one of my latest boxes and found a 1987 cent that is blackish. I can see no hint of any copper-looking color anywhere on the thing. The heavy wear areas around the rim appear to be more silver-colored. Is non-magnetic. Weight is 2.492 grams.

Is it possible that the black color is natural? If so, how to go about checking?

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a zinc cent that's probably been out in the outdoors for quite awhile. The silver you see is the zinc showing through. Toss it back into circulation.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Done. Thanks.

Better to ask a stupid question than to make a stupid mistake.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Both copper and zinc can oxidize black. Particularly when copper is plated to zinc. And yes, the silver color you see is zinc.

Aside: There are only two metals that are not, in a pure state, white or grey. Gold and copper.

Time me for more coffee.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If the coin has no Copper plating whatsoever, then it could have come from the Mint missing the Copper plating or the Copper plating was removed after the coin left the Mint using acid. I assume that this was a metal detector or pocket change find and if so, it would probably be hard to determine the actual cause of the missing Copper plating. Also, the striations and bubbles that are on the coin are the result of the Zinc being exposed to the environment and it's contaminants. Zinc doesn't fair well when exposed to these.

Frank

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Was 1 coin in 1 roll in 1 box of cents from the bank.

It doesn't "appear" to have any copper plating. Aside from that, you're right - I can't tell if this is original or altered. The coin doesn't appear to have much wear as all details are still sharp. A little wear around the edge rims.

I've never played with a chemistry set, so don't have a clue what a cent would look like after acid.

Found this on another site: "If you want to remove the Copper from a plated penny, use Ferric Chloride. This will remove the Copper and leave the Zinc untouched. It is safe to handle and doesn't produce dangerous afterproducts." Now, I have no earthly idea where to go about getting Ferric Chloride, but then I'm not really interested in chemistry experiments anyhow. ...Which is why I took physics in school instead of chemistry. :tongue3:

While that site had some somewhat interesting information, sadly, there were no pics to compare.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Frank - got it downloaded. Wish there was a way to know a video filesize before downloading, but that one wasn't so bad.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Frank - got it downloaded. Wish there was a way to know a video filesize before downloading, but that one wasn't so bad.

Sorry, I know there is a way to view the size of a file but I am not a computer or Internet expert! Just one caution, never use the guy in the video for issuing any real warnings to the public.:icon_scratch:

Frank

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
*lol* Guess I should go and watch it. :tongue3:

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a cool video. Thanks Frank. :thumbsup:

I see what you mean about his 'warnings'. Laughable! However, I liked the buffed-up zinc cent that he had at the end. That was cool!

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of curiosity, if a penny looks just fine in its zinc form. What is the point of coating the zinc in copper?

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The copper 'look' was kept so that there would be less chance that their no-copper coins would not be rejected. Also, makes it easier to distinguish the cent from other coins.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Just out of curiosity, if a penny looks just fine in its zinc form. What is the point of coating the zinc in copper?

The Mints had to come up with a way to mint Cents that were cheaper to make but at the same time, be somewhat durable and lasting, so they come up with a Copper plated Zinc Cent. Zinc Cents by themselves are extremely susceptible to degradation and corrosion from a wide variety of environmental contaminants which also includes the dirt, grime, grease and oils that may be on the hands of those who handles them. By Copper plating them, they survive much longer in circulation before they are not longer usable.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The copper 'look' was kept so that there would be less chance that their no-copper coins would not be rejected. Also, makes it easier to distinguish the cent from other coins.

Sorry kcm, I was typing while you were posting! You also noted one of the main reasons for plating the Zinc Cents with Copper which I totally missed.

Frank

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I started to go into "Techno" mode and start giving out all the facts and figures :laughing9:, but thought I'd just keep it simple instead. :tongue3:

Have been reading some great info on cents on a "different site". This "site" specializes in the Lincoln Cent. *hint, hint* Have learned quite a lot there. Maybe eventually I'll find the JeffersonNickelForum and then the RooseveltDimeForum and then maybe even the WashingtonQuarterForum. :laughing7:

Seriously though, while going through the cent rolls, have noticed very clearly how badly the new cents are holding up. Must be an exceptionally soft metal or something. I still see a lot of older copper cents from the 60's that look virtually circulated. With the new ones, they get beat up and worn by machines really easy. ...By "new", I'm speaking of the 1982 zinc's up to the new design kicked in. Haven't looked much at the new shield cents yet. They seem even shinier. Also seem in better condition, but then they're newer. Guess eventually I'll have to hit them looking for errors!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I started to go into "Techno" mode and start giving out all the facts and figures :laughing9:, but thought I'd just keep it simple instead. :tongue3:

Have been reading some great info on cents on a "different site". This "site" specializes in the Lincoln Cent. *hint, hint* Have learned quite a lot there. Maybe eventually I'll find the JeffersonNickelForum and then the RooseveltDimeForum and then maybe even the WashingtonQuarterForum. :laughing7:

Seriously though, while going through the cent rolls, have noticed very clearly how badly the new cents are holding up. Must be an exceptionally soft metal or something. I still see a lot of older copper cents from the 60's that look virtually circulated. With the new ones, they get beat up and worn by machines really easy. ...By "new", I'm speaking of the 1982 zinc's up to the new design kicked in. Haven't looked much at the new shield cents yet. They seem even shinier. Also seem in better condition, but then they're newer. Guess eventually I'll have to hit them looking for errors!

They don't hold up!:laughing7: I've dug them up that are half missing! Also in the salt states any that fall onto the floor of the car for any amount of time in the winter turn to white powder and end up stuck to the floor mat. They don't last long in the salt! I would imagine beach finds are the same.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess we are lucky that the Mints did not make the Cents as Copper plated Magnesium! If you dropped one of them on a sidewalk next to dry grass, you would start a fire.:BangHead: :tongue3: :laughing7:

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey! Don't go givin' them no ideas here!! No telling WHAT they may do in the name of "Public Safety". :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread