looking for gold (bxlarry)

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's not the answer you want, but it depends on the size.

A man's class ring comes up near a pull tab. A ladies small gold band comes up like a foil gum wrapper. Smaller pieces of gold will come up even lower on the scale. Test it yourself, get out some of your wife's gold.

If you want gold, you have to dig everything. Sorry....

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I call gold the ninja of all metals because it is so adept at hiding and disguising itself as other things...trash more often than not.
The good thing is I found tons of gold with both my F2 and my F70, all were 5" or less in depth and so far every one was solid and repeating every time no matter where they came in.
By itself, solid, next to trash, solid thanks to the target separation and recovery speeds the Fishers possess.
This might not be true every time, however, in some situations gold can be jumpy and at depth near the limit of your coils scanning field especially although I have not dug any very deep as of yet using any detectors and all sorts of other things can and will affect gold signals and could fool you.
In dry sand gold can drop deep because it is so dense, my first ever gold ring was a child's ring and was very small, weighed very little and still dropped down to the 7-8" level in dry sand at a freshwater beach.
Where does it come in...everywhere from iron on the tiny stuff and very thin chains all the way up through low zinc on big 10k class rings and even higher on high karat pieces or larger gold coins.
I have dug 5 large 10k class rings, every one came in between 48-52 low zinc which is why I might skip the higher low 60's real zincoln signals from time to time but never ever solid low zinc numbers.
Most of those signals at these numbers were can slaw...5 times for me it wasn't.
Karat purity, size, ground conditions and the position it is laying in the ground will affect the signals you get among other things.
A very small 24k ring a club member found on a hunt was not a foil signal as it would have been if it was 10-14k but much higher at a solid dime signal because it was pure.
White gold is a whole different ball game, also, because it is alloyed with other metals to get that silver color it will come in at different places along the conductivity scale than normal compared to yellow gold of the same shape and size.
Higher if it is mixed with silver, way lower if it is mixed with nickel which I have found to be way more common.
To illustrate here are two similar rings I found both 10k.
The white gold on the left is two sizes larger than the yellow gold but came in at 24 foil vs. the smaller yellow gold ring which was a solid 35 nickel.

twins (2).jpg

Here is some of the 36 gold targets I have found over the years and their VDI numbers and sections tested on my F2 to give you a good idea where gold might come in.
Most came in at these numbers but some were slightly different in the ground.
More than half were found with my F2 and the way I found them was by knocking out iron only and digging all other solid signals I came across.
As you can see I wasn't kidding when I said anywhere and everywhere.
Tabs is one area it can come in for sure but that would usually be the more rare larger types.
Look at the numbers...I have found way more in foil and nickels than anywhere else.

Attachments

• all gold to 7-24 with vdi (1).jpg
    all gold to 7-24 with vdi (1).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bxlarry

Dec 31, 2012
Lake Worth Fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey I really appreciate the information. It seems like the old adage "Dig Everything" is true. I have to admit
I never bothered digging scrap or foil. I just wised up. I'll keep you informed

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Hey I really appreciate the information. It seems like the old adage "Dig Everything" is true. I have to admit
I never bothered digging scrap or foil. I just wised up. I'll keep you informed

Keep in mind if you want to be a gold digger there are many ways to do it.
The best way to find the most over all is probably by digging most targets, my way is different.
Lots of those gold targets in that pic were found in my early days when I used to dig a ton of trash, many of them were found after I decided I just didn't have the time, patience or energy to dig anywhere near as much so I took steps to cut that down a lot...and I still found gold.
This is me, you do it the way you want.
How do I do this now?
I learned my detectors as well as I possibly could, I studied gold and how it behaved closely and try to find sites with a little bit higher percentage chance of finding it.
Beaches are one such site for sure.
Now I only dig the more solid, gold behaving signals and leave about 80-85% of the trash I come across in the ground and never give it a second thought.
Do I miss stuff from time to time doing it like this, probably, do I care...nope.
If I don't find it one day I will find it another, and as I said I still find more than my share of gold doing it like this.
In your Florida soil/sand I bet signals are usually pretty good and not too jumpy.
That is good, it might help you in a beach site with a million tabs and pop tops if you get sick of digging those things if you learn to target the solid signals when you get sick of digging absolutely everything.
Either way gold can be found, by targeting every signal or a more scientific high percentage way like I do.

A few more I found after I quit digging most trash.
Again, just the way I prefer to do it, your mileage may vary.

Attachments

• user10659_pic64080_1422435123 (1).jpg
    user10659_pic64080_1422435123 (1).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 88
  • user10659_pic61664_1413069496 (1).jpg
    user10659_pic61664_1413069496 (1).jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 93
  • user10659_pic63685_1421679609 (1).jpg
    user10659_pic63685_1421679609 (1).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 98
  • P1040867.jpg
    P1040867.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 92
  • user10659_pic61103_1410798398 (2).jpg
    user10659_pic61103_1410798398 (2).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 100
  • photostudio_1471466133057.jpg
    photostudio_1471466133057.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 92
  • PicsArt_1447802897757_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    PicsArt_1447802897757_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
B

bxlarry

Dec 31, 2012
Lake Worth Fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
digging it all

In my quest for gold I have been digging everything, I mean everything
even the lowest reading on the scale 5 -10. I have greatly increased my collection of hair pins. LOL

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. I think my grandma threw out every bread tie she used....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread